I can't wait 'till spring!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by barney, Jan 26, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I like different things in all of the pups, but Jax is really starting to emerge as the leader.

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I bet those rascals would give the fat, sassy squirrels in Noble Park a case of the hell fire and damnation.

If I was squirrel dog man they'd have to run me out of that park. I'd use it as my personal training grounds. Unfortunately, all I see there is foo-foo dogs and Pits.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Sounds a lot like my yard, minus the pitbulls. I do have one foo-foo dog, but even he will tree a squirrel!
    Anyway.. the pups sire started treeing right here in my yard on his own when he was a few months old. I loved watching him hide and then put belly crawl sneak on unsuspecting squirrels as they crossed the yard!

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    At 4 months old, Jax is really starting to shine. He is listening to, and understanding my commands while trying desperately to prove his loyalty to me. Jax is going to make a squirrel dog deluxe, but above all, a friend!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Jax reminds SO much of his daddy! When he's in the woods, NOTHING moves without him knowing it. He's 4 months old, and his "switch flipped" from pup mode, to hunt mode about a week ago, he'll be treeing at any time.
    [​IMG]

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Daggone it Barney,what are you gonna do with all them dogs,Jax sure looks good and alert,he's ready to go get whatever moves

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The deal was supposed to be something like, "Dad after "we" get the pups trained here on the farm, we will take them home". At this point, I'm doing most everything, and enjoying every minute of it!

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've done that before,Dad always steps up to bat,

9. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Barney it finally let me back on here and I can't say enough about them pups and how they look and are turning out. A good squirrel dog bred to a good squirrel dog has a better chance of making good squirrel dogs so these pups should have what it takes. Enjoy seeing the updates on them and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of them treeing and on tailgates.

Seems dad always ends up the one taking care of the pups but like you I truly enjoy it so it's no big deal. You are doing a great job caring for them and it shows

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Jessie!
    I'm sure enjoying these pups, and I don't think I would let my boys take them at this point!
    All of the pups are intelligent, and obedient, and all are going to make squirrel dogs, but Jax is really starting to shine. Jax is a thinker- he listens to, and watches me intently to understand what I'm instructing him to do. I've had a couple of dogs like him in my life, and they are nothing but a pleasure to train and work with because of their intelligence, and loyalty.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I took the pups deep into the woods on the back of the farm this afternoon. They sure are alert, and doing everything that they should be doing at this point. I'm confident a squirrel will be treed in the very near future!

A few pictures I took along the way as we walked.
    [​IMG]
    A nice pignut hickory that would make some nice axe handles if there was a way to get it out.
    [​IMG]
    'Seng everywhere!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Better watch about posting pics of that seng ,they'll be one of them city folk vans parked beside the road, looking to get rich.
    Pups looking good,they like that log and and cool holler looks like.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Seng digging trespassers hit my patch once about 30 years ago. I haven't had any problems since.

The pups sure do enjoy our adventures every evening. They had a blast on that log, they even did some acrobatics!
    [​IMG]

bondhu and Dark Cloud like this.
  14. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Man them pups are looking sharp. I can't wait to see them standing on a tree

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Jessie!
    If I had plenty of squirrels it would have done happened. Everyone of the pups are gamey, alert, listen to my commands, and are on anything that moves!

I studied about how to work with the pups. Either individually, or as a pack. I decided to go the pack route. There is nothing more exciting than seeing a pack of feist all on the same page timbering, or treeing a squirrel!

Years back when I hunted the pups sire with his full litter mate brother it was a blast! Those two hunted as a team, and a squirrel didn't have a chance. I want these pups to be just like that.

Luther's Feist and Dark Cloud like this.