I can't wait 'till spring!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by barney, Jan 26, 2017.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's a sight I've envisioned since Barney was around 2 years old. That vision being, seeing pups out of him treeing with the enthusiasm, tenacity, and accuracy he was blessed with!

For years I always wanted to find a good bred female feist and raise a litter of pups from him. With work, and family, years soon pass - Barney was getting old, and I still hadn't found him a female! But, the dream I had unexpectedly fell into place in November of 2015 when a friend offered me Lucy, a female pup of Hurley Combs breeding with a lot of champion dogs back through her pedigree. Lucy was just what I was looking for, and she seemingly fell into my lap.

I don't have a lot of squirrels here on the farm this year, but there are a few. I've had the pups in the woods almost every day this summer working with them, teaching them commands, and obedience. On several occasions, they have trailed squirrels, and even looked up the tree, but they never barked, nor did I see a squirrel in the leafy trees.

That changed this morning! I was watching from a distance when the pups began intently running a track in the damp woods. All of the sudden I heard a single bark from the underbrush, when I looked up to the tree tops I saw the squirrel get hid near the top of a small hickory. With the pups still trailing around the tree, I shot the squirrel out to them. All 4 of them piled on with excitement! I took their first treed squirrel and hung it up in the small tree and just watched, and filmed this short video. They will be 6 months old this month, and, just like their father, I think they are about to put it all together at an early age!

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Man couldn't ask for anything better than that,you should be real proud of all those pups.

barney likes this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Those are colored the same as my pups. My second set of feists and they are a blast to play with.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is awesome

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm proud as a peacock! I saw the pups change a month ago, and they would have already been treeing had the squirrels been more plentiful around here.

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A lot of people seem to like tricolored feist. I was hoping for a black and tan in the litter, but it didn't happen this time.