I just saw an armadillo.....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Redlined, Aug 28, 2016.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Saw one splattered on I24 close to the Calvert City exit on Sunday. I've actually saw a few of them hit there in the last year or two.

2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Growing up in western Kentucky (not extreme west--but west enough) it is amazing what I saw as a kid. Not only have I seen Armadillos, but Tarantulas and Scorpions too. Not a lot, but I've seen 'em. Seems like they were in "swampy areas" (I can't remember)...which incidentally also looks more like a scene from Mississippi or Louisiana--not Kentucky. Very odd.

3. Hmmm, I did not know about these. I grew up and still live in the Eastern foothills. Was out at LBL in July on a MC trip but don't recall seeing any "Dillos". That is cool. Maybe in a few years we will have a new season to exploit. What do they taste like? Currently, I have a coon on my back porch feeding on the catfood. The old lady has named him "George Cooney".

Irish

4. Thumper23

Thumper23 Spike

Jul 28, 2014
    Graves County
    Like the others here in the western part of the state (south of Mayfield), I see them on the side of the road frequently, but have yet to encounter one alive yet. In fact, saw one yesterday on side of purchase parkway between Mayfield and Benton...dead of course

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    The only people I know who have encountered them alive are dog hunters in LBL.

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    all I can say is they make a ton of noise when they go by your stand.

7. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    Dead or alive I want to see of one of these critters. Heck I would settle for a picture of one. With all the trail cameras out there I can't believe someone hasn't posted a pic of one. How about at least a picture of one of the dead ones all you guys are seeing. My daughter goes to Murray and she says she has seen them dead on the road, but I can't get her to stop and take a picture.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    She's absolutely right.... their everywhere right now splattered on the road near Murray. Saw 2 different road kills from last week this morning on the way to church.... one on 641 and one on 80 east bound.

Which I took my cams down at the farm on Friday but put one up in a fence row aimed on one of my garden spots this evening. It's tilled and sowed in turnips. My wife asked me what in the world was I doing... told her it was a "dillo" cam .. lol. Which I'm not too sure what they eat but figure that's a good as spot as any.

Which I just want to get a pic of a live one.

9. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    [QUOTE="JDMiller, post:

Which I just want to get a pic of a live one.[/QUOTE]

Good luck JD. You could be the first person in KY to have a trail cam pic of a dillo.

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I saw a baby one dead about a week ago. It was half the size as all the normal ones I've seen. I was fixing to get on the WK at the caneyville/Morgantown exit.

11. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
    This guy was at my blind last season in Muhlenberg co.

Attached Files:

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    There are plenty in Florida too. Saw several right off the interstate this summer.

13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    All over LBL. They sound like someone raking leaves at night. I was in my hammock and thought I was being attacked.

14. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    Dead or alive I have gotta see one of those critters and I'm heading to Murray this weekend in search of one. I might just take in Family Weekend on the MSU campus while I'm there too.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    On the east side of the south bound lanes of highway 641.... about 3-4 miles north of Murray ..... right across from a greenhouse / nursery operation near Coles Campground Rd..... is a fine specimen. He's been there for about a week or so.... good & ripe.

Also.... if your coming in on highway 80 by chance from Aurora to Murray... be on the look out anywhere through there.

Good luck on your armadillo adventures... lol.