I just saw an armadillo.....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Redlined, Aug 28, 2016.

1. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I hunt a farm right beside the exit and I've lived in caneyville my whole life and never heard of a sighting but they are bound to show up sometime Maybe he hitched a ride from lbl haha

2. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Spent the last 14 years of my life in North Florida and had enough of them terror up my lawn and garden. Some are known to carry leprosy as well. Twisted my ankles a few times in their holes trying to mow my lawn. Every one I got my eyes on got the lead treatment. To each their own.

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I don't remember exactly. Seems like it could have been around Zion, Robards, Spotsville or Niagara. I was thinking it was kinda around the sandy, swampy areas of the county tho. Maybe it was around Hebbardsville...I went to the 3rd and 4th grade there...we were always exploring the woods in the 'wilderness' at recess or harassing the adjoining farm's hogs. LOL

Been a long, long time. I wish I could recall where I've seen them.

SlowBow likes this.
  4. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    I just wonder why they are moving this way now. Why weren't these sightings occurring 10 years ago?? I moved up here in '78 from Biloxi with none in the area (according to locals), and in the last few years they are showing up. Hmm.........

5. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Whatever you do don't say Frankfort brought them in.

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    When I used to see 'em, it was back in the 60s.

7. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    EC, Back in the 60's, how far north in Kentucky did you see them?
    When I moved up here I traded seeing Dillers (as they said down there) for groundhogs up here. I had never seen a groundhog in the deep south!

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Henderson county (and a few counties surrounding) was about the only place in Kentucky I would see them. Maybe when we would go to the 'Land Between the Lakes" or something. My family moved to Frankfort in '71 and I never saw them there. Still haven't--and I still live approximately in this part of the state--Louisville.

Besides Henderson county, I would see them around Union and Webster counties. Those adjoin Henderson county. Henderson county and west of there has some unique country. There's swamps there you would swear you were abducted by UFOs and dropped off in the swamps of Louisiana. Cyprus trees, moss, moccasins, giant snapping turtles, sulfur smell--the works. Sometimes you'd run up on a "beaver dam". Only thing missing, I guess, were gators...as far as I know! LOL Never saw them...thank goodness! I reckon, these days, those swamps could all have been drained and developed by now. Which would be a shame because I've never seen areas like this anywhere in Kentucky except for that part of the state. Very primeval looking.

As kids, our minds wandered and conjured of "worries" about pre-historic dinosaurs living back deep in those swamps (because it looked like a movie set where dinosaurs would live)--or some old "swamp witch" living back in there in her "swamp shack". LOL!! We never had the guts to go back too deep to find out! Besides, we didn't have a canoe--so that was our excuse not to explore--and stay safe. LOL

You didn't--at least I didn't--see Armadillos frequently. You might see one once a year or more waddling around or a one dead on the road. But for the life of me, I can't remember exactly the parts of the county I would see them. Seems like they were around the swampy areas (not in the swamp) but near them. And where the dirt had some kind of a powdery, fine, sandy like quality.

9. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    I was watching a bowfishing video just this week where Tim Farmer (Ky Afield) was in a swampy area in "western Kentucky". Not sure what year it was filmed. Now I'm wondering if that's where he was. There were plenty of cypress trees in the video which was a surprise to me. I saw/lived in a lot of that environment in south Mississippi but didn't know Kentucky had that anywhere. Do you know if any of those areas happen to be on public land? That's a little bit of a drive for me but I'd like to see some of that from my canoe. I could make a weekend camp-out out of it.

Your discernment of the swamp in your youth may be warranted! Don't forget the song "Marie Laveau" by Bobby Bare! LOL!

10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Oh yeah, the Voodoo Queen...don't wanna mess with her! LOL

I'm not sure, but there's probably some swamps on public land. I only knew about the swamps in or surrounding Henderson county. I don't know if these have been incorporated into public lands or not. Since that part of the state is a big duck fly way, I'm betting some of those areas are have been dedicated as public lands...at least part of the Federal waterway protection program. I can't say for sure though. Haven't been stomping around back there in those areas in decades.

I recall hearing others saying--back in the day--there's a lot more swamps the further west you go. Especially the parts of Kentucky bordering the Mississippi River. I guess it has to do with being close to the New Madrid earthquake fault in that area--and how earthquakes changed the course of the river over hundreds, thousands of years...and that's what created the swamps. As a side bar: the New Madrid (they pronounce it New Mad-Drid down in those parts) earthquake of 1811 was supposedly the largest earthquake ever recorded in the US. Changed the course of the river, made if flow backwards, changed the border of Kentucky on the Mississippi River, etc. Since there weren't a lot of people living there in those days, not much in the way of property damage (other than cabins, barns) reported. They supposedly felt that quake back in Boston, MA.

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Look up "Bayou du Chien". It's in Ky.

12. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Interesting info, EC. Thank you.

PT, I looked it up on GoogleEarth. I drive through Fulton 10-12 times per year. Had no idea I was that close.

13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    You're welcome. Haven't thought about those places in forever.

14. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I agree, shoot every one on site, KDFW don't want them here, just destroy ground nesting birds clutch, we already got enough possums, and coons doing that.

Smokin9mm likes this.
  15. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    What do armadillos do in the winter?