I tested the "Plantnet" Plant ID App...

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    So I decided to test the "Plantnet" identification App for phones. The idea is you take a picture of a flower, leaf, or stem and it brings up what is hopefully the right plant from it's database.
    I have had it ID some surprising stuff, and also strike out on some surprising stuff. I went out in the yard and the woods and gave it a whirl:

2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Interesting. The app seems spotty. Thanks for posting it tho.

3. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I am on a bushcraft group on FB. Whenever someone asks about a plant, one dude says, "just use this app" as if he thinks it's infallible.What worries me is that people will go out and scan something with a cellphone and not double check. I'm not going to bash it--it is pretty remarkable, but I would call it a starting point. I have had it nail some obscure stuff, and mess up pretty spectacularly. I think it's best use would be to help a person learn trees by the leaves and such.

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I can see where it could be helpful. But I wouldn't rely on it as 'gospel' personally. I know the basics but I'm sure I've failed with keeping up with my pioneer ancestors with knowing the forest plants, uses, etc.

5. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I just downloaded it and tried it with a few plants/trees around the house. It works best when you give it more than one image, and it's definitely better at identifying trees by their leaves than by their bark (not really surprising though).

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.