If you have a tilt trailer

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Check the pin that holds tongue to trailer. I had one break on mine today and almost caused a wreck. Hit a dip going onto a bridge weight shifted to the rear and all heck broke loose. Just about 100 pounds of bag mulch slid back on the wet wood floor. No place to pull over, trapped between two bridges and some guard rails. Had to drive 1/8 mile to a driveway to get off the road. Dragging the trailer behind me. Bent the trailer part bad enough the tongue twisted to one side a bit but stayed on the hitch ball because I had a hitch lock holding the latch down. Old trailer with many miles on it but still in good shape other then that pin that wore into over the years.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad noone got hurt. Is the trailer done or are you going to be able to make a few repairs and keep on truckin?

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Looks like I can heat the bent part and hit it with a hammer and straighten it out. Just going to have to remove part of the new 3/4 inch plywood floor I just put in last summer to access the bad bent place easy. I felt it sway like I had a flat tire at first then it just got worse as I slowed down from about 50 mph. Was whipping into the other lane at times, just glad I didn't meet anyone going to other direction before I got stopped and off the roadway.

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I had that happen once. I got away from tilt trailers and got ramp on the backs. If I had another tilt I would use bolt with a lock nut to hold it down.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    The bolt actually broke or you forgot to put it in? I have trouble believing even a sheer bolt would break with no more torque than that would have on it.

6. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 8 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Thank god nobody got hurt.I lost a trailer once doing about 50mph and it was scary as crap.it hit a tree bent it up bad.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Never used the tilt feature in over 30 years. And then it was brand new and I wanted to see how well it worked. I use ramps to load and unload things like ATV and Lawnmower. Trailer box is front end heavy and it takes one person in the front to tilt it up and the other to ride the ATV or Mower up into it so it will lay back down. I am saying the pin broke because it was gone and everything was fine until I hit that big dip going onto that bridge and the load of a few bags of mulch slid from front to back. Darn sure got my attention when it came up.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah I think that's the way I am going when I get it fixed. Thinking stainless bolt and nut. Since I don't use the tilt feature anyway. I would say I will be in the ground before it would wear thru and break. Been a great little 5x8 trailer. We pulled it 1224 miles to Canada and 1224 miles back home back several times and no telling how many more miles it has on it over the years. Several people family and not I have loan it to over the years to move things. And track like a dream at any speed. On the 4th or 5th set of tire's...LOL. I built sides for it when I first got it out of a brown treated lumber from Menards guaranteed for life against rot. Had to replace one 1 x 4 x 5 ft plank on the front where a guy threw a log into it and broke a board. Just replace the treated 3/4 inch plywood floor in it last summer, so I guess you could say I got my moneys worth out of it. IIRC I gave $399.99 for it at Lowes many years ago.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Might concider welding a length of angle iron to the area you bend back in place to reinforce it.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Might as well weld the pin and tilt bed in place to the frame.

Powerstro284 likes this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Son had a pin break once,caught it before it done damage

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Mine did as well... 25 sheets of drywall dumped in the middle of a busy intersection in hebron ky, just days after having a cardiac catheder implanted to deal with an infection.
    (I figured if i gotta be off work i might as well keep busy and reno my kitchen. Lol) Thankfully a fella hopped out of his pickup and helped me restack. Luckily i had another pin in the tool box.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  13. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Sounds like pin was missing. Always check for pin. Rookie mistake

EdLongshanks likes this.
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Why check for a pin that you never use back under the trailer ? Got the floor removed and headed to the torch guy to heat the bent part up and bend it back in place. Not as bad as I first thought once I got the floor out and could see good what I got to work with.
    Same old Slickhead the smart ass....LOL

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

All fixed up good as new thanks to a Nephew who just took over when I pulled it to his dads place to work on it. Now has a grade 5 bolt and nut holding the tilt down. He seem to think it may not have been the pin itself that broke but the clip rusted away that holds the pin in and pin worked it's way out over time.