It's almost morel pickin' time!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Recurve77, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Checked 4 of my early spots today that produced on 3/3 and 3/7 last year. Nothing yet but did see a lot of daffodils and forsythias blooming.

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    45FACEE5-34BD-4130-BFCE-AD634AE6A1FC.jpeg So that is a ramp. It seems I have seen them before. I’ll keep an eye out for them from now on. Thanks for sharing the woods knowledge!

3. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’d like to try some ramps. Going down to Florida next week for a couple days hunting/fishing. I’ll keep a eye out for some morels down there. I’m sure they are up. Probably done been up going other way by now.

4. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Pickled ramps are addictive, but the gas they produce makes fried rabbit farts smell like febreze.

00noturkey and JR PORTER like this.
  5. Michael942

Michael942 Fawn

Mar 10, 2017
    Louisville,KY

6. Michael942

Michael942 Fawn

Mar 10, 2017
    Louisville,KY
    I never hunted for them in Ky, but I get basket loads in our yard in Michigan. We let a neighbor use about 54 acres for his nursery and when we see his workers sneaking about the yard, we know they have appeared. At first we didn't know about them or even ate one. When you see grown people getting into fights over morels. we had to try them. It got so bad that some years they had picked them before we had a chance, so we told them no more mushrooms. Now I stake old shooting targets out by where the morels pop up and haven't had a problem since. Since I've been living back in Ky I suspect they are out browling in the yard again.

7. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Several years ago my wife and I spent a day and a half hunting morels with a group of @ 9-10 people in Northern Michigan. We picked over 1300 on those 2 days and ended the trip with a morel feast consisting of steaks with sautéed morels, cream of morel soup, fried morels and fettuccine with a morel Alfredo sauce! They don't grow nearly as plentiful in KY as they do in Michigan. Hope you have good luck finding them here.

8. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I am pumped up as well, I'll probably wait a couple weeks to start looking though.

9. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Man i had never thought about using morels and making fettuccine alfredo. Thats just sounds awesome! Will have to try it this year. I love both so it has to be good. I still havent got a chance to go. Work has about broke me for about the last week. Im off all weekend though and gonna leave my phone off untill i atleast get a chance to go look. Funny how family and work get in the way of something you love to do. But thats life. Did get to get up and listen to the turkeys gobble yesterday morning right before i had to go to work. I think they wete happy it just wasnt raining. One thing is for sure we have had plenty of rain. Im sick of rain for the time being.

10. shedfinder

shedfinder 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Getting excited myself… Been out looking for deer sheds over the past month and have been hugely successful finding 28 drops this year… But have not seen the first morel...Got to be getting close!

Capttrae and forager like this.
  11. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Dang that's impressive! I'll take your word for it they ain't up lol. Only found a couple sheds in my life but usually ambled up on em looking for something more tasty than an antler haha

12. shedfinder

shedfinder 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    IMG_4353.JPG
    Here was what I found as of last weekend...
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Found these a couple days ago

13. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I' say the morels may be another week. Woke up to a light snow here this morning

14. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    We hiked 4 hours today, all woods and i saw no greenup around here. We have some daffodils blooming in the yard but this next week looks like cooler weather.