It's taken some working around but I'm shooting again....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Apr 2, 2019.

1. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    This is what I was going to suggest. Amazon and Midway have them for $80.
    Good luck Lady Hunter!!

2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Got gutsy and took my old 30-06 out a few nights ago. SUCCESS!!! Was ringing the gong at both 200 and 300 yards with ease. Won't be taking it back to the woods though - it takes too much out of me to shoot it. The 270 and 308 both ring the gongs nicely though....

davers, Ataulbe1 and rlb165 like this.
  3. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Glad to see your back at it! Keep working, you'll be eating backstrap this fall! Ever think of dropping down to a 243 or a 260?

4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Hunted with a .243 for a couple of years & even took a nice buck with it BUT I wasn't happy with it's performance. Just didn't seem to have the knock down power I was used to, AND even with a perfect heart/lung shot, left NO blood trail! Not a drop... That was enough for me to set that one aside.

Then I had it out at the range one night last week just for fun & was shooting at the 200 yard gong. Silence. Decided the scope must be off so started shooting at targets. The sight was was dead on. Back to the gong again for several shots. Dead silence again. Finally I got my husband to sight in on the gong with his scope while I shot & it was actually hitting the gong every time but not hard enough to even make it "ting" and was moving it so little that you had to use a scope to see it. I want more OOMPH than that when hunting deer...