Jake sounds

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by cedar creek, Apr 14, 2019.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Went to a spot yesterday morning nothing there very distance gobbling and few shots way off so I moved after lunch to different location and got on what sounded like a older hen yelping, thought it was a hunter because it kept yelping thru out the evening, then it made sounds that was way better than anybody could sound like with a call, I started stalking them through the thicket and finally got close enough to set down and wait, sure enough 6 jakes came strolling through and I took one, first I ever heard a Jake yelp like an old raspy hen, learned something new I never witnessed in 25 years of turkey hunting,

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Usually they are no more than 3 notes. At least that’s what I’ve witnessed.

cedar creek likes this.
  3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Its been my experience that if it sounds so bad that it has to be an inexperienced human calling, it is normally a live hen. Cant tell you how many times I have I have left my set after getting so mad about hearing a trespasser call on me and come to find it was a hen. Calling like a rusty windmill in high wind.

cedar creek likes this.
  4. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Congrats on your bird.

cedar creek likes this.
  5. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
  6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Good deal on the jake. Congrats

cedar creek likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Steve rinellas always talks about the very same scenario you have described. It’s pretty funny

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Congrats on the harvest. Sounds like a fun hunt.

9. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I don’t have much time to hunt so I figured I’d take a Jake for meat, wait for a long beard for my second tag if I get a chance again.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yes, you don't have to be a good caller to sound like a turkey. Most of them couldn't get past round one of a turkey calling contest.

11. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I have no problem with a jake.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    CONGRATS. Id take a Jake everyday. More tender. Worst caller I ever heard was a real hen. Couldn't believe it when she came out. When I first heard her I thought it was another hunter. It kept getting closer I was getting pissed. Sitting there thinking a hunter was coming to my calling. I sat ready to confront or fight the trespasser. She came out and yelped. I about died laughing. She fooled me.