Jarred Ashmore memorial youth bowfishing tourney

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by mchunter, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

Was wondering if anyone else on here will be bringing any youngsters to the shoot tomorrow night? I've taken my nephew for the last few years and it's a blast. The take off and registration is in Eddyville and you can fish any legal waters. Free entry, free food and drinks, and every kid leaves with an arm load of prizes. Nice prizes too. They give away several bows, reels, arrows, ect. It's a great time for the kids and adults alike. A great way to spend a Saturday night. I don't have a flyer in front of me right now but if anybody is interested I will post some info later.

2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    How was the shoot?

3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    If it was Saturday night or during the day, I bet they smoked them. I seen pics on FB Saturday that just about killed me while I had to move hay. Man fish were up good.

4. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

The shoot went great nock, and we had a blast! Don't know exact numbers but I heard there was around 200 kids there. We were the 74th boat out and there was some more behind us. We had my buddy's daughter and her two cousins and my nephew. The little lady has been several times, but up until that night, she had only managed to get one fish in the boat. She shot 8 that night! The other two boys were first timers but the managed to get their 5 fish limit also. Our boat shot a total of 43 fish, give or take a few. My nephew had a 5 fish weight of 73lbs. 81lbs won his age group so he was right there at the top. But the highlight of the night came when they drew his name for a fully rigged discovery 2 bow! His old bow is getting in pretty bad shape so he was on cloud nine.

[​IMG]

5. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Congrats to all the kids. Sweet looking bow. Like that bonus gar to! What kinda poundage they shooting?

6. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

The bow he won is 29 to 40. I bought one just like it a few months ago and I love it. I did a lot of research before I bought it. Some of the speed tests were pretty impressive. It's continuous draw (no let off) and some of the guys on bowfishing country claim at 29# they will shoot harder than most 40 to 45# compounds. I think you only have to draw it 17 inches to get to full poundage so it's great for snap shooting. The little girl is around 20lbs or less so she wasn't getting real good penetration but would usually hold on long enough to get a backup shot off.

7. limbhanger

limbhanger 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2004
    w.ky.
    I know 190 kids filled my 16' trailer in just a few hours.
    [​IMG]

8. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

I sure was glad to see your trailer there! My buddy had to work the next day so I told him I would take care of the fish if they didn't offer disposal at he weigh in. We had more than I wanted to cut up for trapping bait after being up all night and I really didn't have a good place to get rid of them. Thanks for your service. I am curious what you do with all of them though. I assume that was your trailer there last year too?

9. limbhanger

limbhanger 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2004
    w.ky.
    Yep, my trailer last year too. I'll prob do it again next yr, if needed, even if the kid will be too old.
    They make great fertilizer for food plots. We thought there would be a lot of fish shot, I had a 2nd trailer on 'standby', a few more boats and we would've needed it.