Kayak suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by TripleGee, May 14, 2018.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Alright, so the little lady and my other two little ladies tried yaking and loved it. So, I'm on the hook to buy at least 3. So, I will be getting me one for fishing and two for them to enjoy.
    I will NOT spend over $300 on any of them and probable won't approach that.
    SO, I need to hear cheap options of decent quality from you guys and gals.
    Been looking at Walmart (cheapest) and Craigslist where folks are evidently selling Wally world yaks for a profit ha.
    What say ye from thy experiences?

Again, skip the pricey crap.
    Thanks.

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Go to Wally world or Academy. They have the least expensive ones around. Sit on top is a bit more stable than sit in. A sit in is a bit easier to paddle. Academy will have a little better quality.

As you become a more competent paddler, you'll see the headaches of cheaper kayaks. But in the beginning, have fun with the family!

TripleGee likes this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve got one from Walmart for my purposes it’s perfect

drakeshooter and TripleGee like this.
  4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    try buying used I think you will be not be happy in cheapo if you use much

5. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    All I know is the high priced crap, lol. Guy I work with decided they wanted to get kayaks and his wife loved my Hobie, but balked at the price for 2, they bought Heritage 10’ Anglers from Academy when they were on sale last week. I’ve owned a Slayer and it was a nice yak although a bit slow paddling for me. Lots more choices since I bought my first one which was a Tarpon 120. Kayak is all I’ve fished from since 06. No gas, oil, deep cycle batteries, registration, etc. Also, just a guess on my part, you might want to consider weight for creek fishing, if I were on a creek and I ran into a situation like a log jam or needing to portage, the Hobie is a pig and the Slayer wasn't much lighter, you pretty much need a boat ramp or flat bank to launch or leave the water. Just a thought.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    drakeshooter likes this.
  7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Saw one the other day at Cosco for $299. The "fishing" one was $399. I keep saying I'm gonna get one (a foot paddler), but trying to find one I can just pitch into the back of the Dodge and handle myself. Plus one that can be "manhandled" but stable in the water--I've found the older I get, the more klutzy I get and don't feel like tipping over and losing all my crap (already lost all my guns in a canoe trip--as the old saying goes). LOL.

TripleGee likes this.
  8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I picked my first Kayak up today while at Cabelas in Lexington. While it wasn't dirt cheap, it's by no means on the expensive end.

I bought an Ascend 128T, I wanted a SUPER stable one, that was the most important thing I was interested in because I'm kinda scared of water with doggie paddling for about 45 foot before going under being my swimming ability.

Got it home and a buddy and his kayak went with me to show me the ropes of Kayaking at Carr Creek lake, after about an hour sitting on it I could stand up and cast with confidence.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Haven’t bought one but like the Cabelas Advanced Angler myself. Know a guy that did buy one and loves it. I need a wide body size myself ;)

10. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    I have this same kayak in hidden oak and absolutely love it.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Got mine on sale at Dunham's sports for way less than $300 if you have one of those around to stop in and look. They typically run pretty good sales on yaks and actually have a pretty good selection. The explorer 10 (what I bought) is usually the cheapest and does well for someone who isn't doing it all the time. I've even had mine out on Lake Cumberland crappie fishing and felt safe.

12. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Speaking of Dunham's, just got an email about a 2 day flash sale. Sit in and sit on top 10 foot voyager anglers for $199.99. Today and tomorrow only.

13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    That sounds like a good intro...can't see where it includes the paddle. I should be able to sling 43 pounds into the back of the Dodge.

10 foot voyager anglers

[​IMG]
    Future Beach Voyager Angler Sit-In Kayak
    Value Price$219.99Original $299.99

Digital Guide
    upload_2018-5-18_11-41-39.jpg C6929133000000
    Valid 5/3/18 - 5/20/18

Product Information:
    • 10’4″ length, weighs 43 lbs., 300 lbs. weight capacity
    • Easy rider molded in bucket seat, cockpit console with bottle holder, step lock footrest system, 2 flush mount rod holders and more
    • Styles and colors vary by location
    • Sit-on version also available: Future Beach Voyager Angler Sit-On Kayak

http://www.dunhamssports.com/product/future-beach-voyager-angler-sit-in-kayak/

14. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    DO YOU ALL PREFER THE SIT IN OR SIT ON MODEL?

I'M 270 AND DROPPING WITH BAD KNEES SO I THINK SIT ON SO I CAN FLEX MY KNEES TO ALLEVIATE SORENESS.

drakeshooter likes this.