Kayak suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by TripleGee, May 14, 2018.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I THOUGHT ABOUT A INFLATABLE PONTOON BOAT FOR MORE STABILITY. ANYONE HAVE ONE OF THESE?

2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thought about these too...but I can see my stupid a$$ punching a hole in it with a hook...in the middle of a lake.

TripleGee likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    For just paddling around I would say sit in. They are typically easier to paddle out of. If you are planning to fish I would say sit on top. Little more stable and offer better casting posture. I fish out of my sit in but sometimes get in situations I wish my elbows were a little more free.

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Came up on these...thought I'd post it for you. It would certainly be easier to pack around deflated. I'm guessing you might get pushed around on windy days. But I don't know that.

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Facebook market place has bunch for sale. Probably save a good deal.

6. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I have a couple of these myself, very stable, my wife and kids really enjoy these,a kayak is similar to a canoe and wider is better, they have adjustable foot rests also.

7. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    In our area, they're running right around "new" price believe it or not.

8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    TripleGee,
    You been to Dunhams yet?

9. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Yeah, they've got a sale on today and I downloaded that coupon and thanks. I weight 275 which is horrible and worst I'll be as I'm working on it. SO, i gotta go with a "husky" size kayak. Doc told me I was a fatass. He was right of course and we're pretty good friends.

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    They must have been feeding better at the P.O., you were nowhere near that when I saw you last.
    When you get that Yak, bring it out to the creek by me.

TripleGee likes this.
  11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    My recommendation would be to buy 1 to start with and then take it out and let everyone have a turn. That way you can see if that will meet your needs or not, or what you wish it had, before you buy 3 of them. Also, don't pay a lot more for an "angler" edition. Installing rod holders is very easy to do yourself.

We have 4 kayaks in my family. I've got a 10' Old Town sit in, my wife has a 12' Perception sit on top, and my kids each have 10' Sun Dolphins. While I prefer mine, I can use my wife's with little issue, but I have no desire to even try the Sun Dolphins on the water. I tried getting in and out of it in the yard and it was nearly impossible for me (cockpit too small).

12. woodfordjared

woodfordjared Spike

Apr 14, 2013
    I have a perception pescador 12 fishing sit on top that I'm going to sell. If you are interested let me know. It is a great kayak.

13. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    Breathitt Co.
    For the fishing one, definitely get sit on top. I'm a big guy too. 250 and that stated weight limit isn't correct on most. Sure it will keep you afloat but water is going to be coming in through the scupper holes and be a bear to paddle. Most people say around 75% is where you should be. I went super cheap on my first and it was junk. I upgraded to a bonafide and actually enjoy kayak fishing now. The seat and secondary stability is most important in my opinion. You can test them if there is a dealer close to you.

TripleGee likes this.
  14. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Yeah JR, I love my job now but it consists of sitting in a Control Room here at the Power Plant looking at computer screens 12 hrs each shift. Obesity magnet.

15. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    My new job consists of sitting down most of the time also, I just tell everyone that I'm allergic to my job because it makes me swell up.

TripleGee likes this.