kayaks

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jun 30, 2018.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What's your reviews on a good kayaks fishing and outdoors use

2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I wouldn't characterize it as good, but I got on of the Wally world 10' sundolphin journey ss fishing yaks for father's day and I've been using the crap out of it. It feels tippy at first but you really have to lean way over to get it to tip.

3. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    Check out the Native Ultimate. Not cheap but well made and available with many options.

4. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    I have the Native Slayer 12 pro and love it.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Sit in, or sit on top?

For a sit in, I recommend an Old Town Vapor fishing edition 10ft. For a SOT, I recommend a Perception Pescador 12ft. Neither will break your bank and both are easily customize-able.

6. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    Vibe also makes some nice fishing kayaks.

Double T likes this.
  7. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Highly recommend Jackson Kayaks. Several places in the state carries them. Canoe Ky and KY Lake Outdoors ( I believe that's the place)

8. I have a Vibe SeaGhost 130 and am pleased with it. Have used it in the gulf, on lakes, and in creeks. If you don't have something like a mirage drive with foot pedals, you will most likely want something that paddles easily. The SeaGhost moves through the water easily enough to troll while paddling and I have stood up in mine, but it takes some practice getting used to its stability. I think they call it secondary stability or something like that. I have stood in it and ridden over boat wakes, but it was at a time when I didn't really care if I got dumped or not. I probably would have spilled out of it if I had been trying really hard to stay in it.
    I made a choice of the Vibe SeaGhost over the FeelFree Lure Kayak. The FeelFree was more stable and wider, but it was slower cutting through the water. Each one has its advantages and I wouldn't mind having one of each.
    Kayaks can also be very handy for accessing some public hunting lands during turkey and deer season that you might not be able to walk to.
    I'm getting lazy now and mostly, only fish out of a boat. But, I do like my kayak very much and don't regret buying it.

9. Oh, and my Son has a Perception Pescador and he has sure caught some monsters out of it. Especially in the gulf.

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I bought a Old Town Predator PDL back in April. It’s an upper end pedal kayak and it’s pretty amazing. I’ve been fishing on Barkley Lake and it handles great. With the pedal drive you can stay on spot so much easier and have your hands free to fish. I just bought a jet ski trailer today to convert to a kayak trailer since it’s rather big and heavy. If you fish calm ponds any model will work fine but if it’s windy or current I cannot stress enough how much easier a pedal yak is to fish from.

JeepComanche likes this.
  11. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    I've had two cheap ones. One was a $200 Pelican sit-in from Academy. I liked how light and affordable it was, but it was tippy. Pretty dang maneuverable though.

I switched to a cheap Lifetime Tamarack 120 SOT from Walmart. I paid less than $200 with an included paddle, and I really like it. It's slower, and still not stable enough to stand on, but super comfortable and still easy to transport.

Jacksons are really nice but in my opinion kayaks should be cheap and easy to transport. If I wanted to trailer something and spend over $2k I'd probably opt for a real boat with a trolling motor, but that is just based on the way I fish.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve looked at a lot and have a buddy who is big into Kayak fishing, does tourneys, and has fished the gulf a few times. He bought a Hobie and has put some money into it. Personally for the money, I have liked the Cabelas Advanced angler for a while and know one guy who has one and he does a lot of river and creek fishing and loves it. He’s a big dude like me and says it sits great and he stands in it a lot still fishing. Cabelas has it on sale for 799 right now. Normally 999.