Kdfwr turkey survey link

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by WaterDog88, May 8, 2018.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    When I bow hunt I carry 2 older arrows. Just in case Mr Coon Possum or Yote shows up.

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Totally agree. I like hunting afternoons just as much as anyone. But i also feel cutting it out for a few yrs would do nothing but help our population. Along with a few more changes and i dont
    Smart man. If i had hay to cut I would do the same thing. Yea it may take a while and be a pain. But its worth it. Not to mention the right thing to do.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    How does hunting the afternoon in the spring harm the turkey population?

Right thing to do? I think that’s very debatable. It’s nice, yes. I don’t find a farmer cutting his field without walking it immoral in the slightest.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I know people that do that on small ptracts but not 147 acres. Wow. Kudos to you.

hollandhunter likes this.
  5. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Missouri used to be the top harvesting state in the country and yes, they have no afternoon hunting during spring season.

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    There are thousands of birds killed every year in the afternoon. By cutting out afternoon hunting thousands of birds will live that are normally killed. Kinda common since. Birds that are henned up in the mornings that wont come in alot if times will in the afternoon as hens go off to nest. Its just 1 way to increase our over all population. I dont want it to stay that way for ever. But i feel like if it along with a few other changes were made our population would increase. But like said thats just 1 way to save several thousand birds.

No walking your land before you mow isnt a law. An if you wanna run over 50 nest on your farm thats your right. Debatable? Sure it is. But again common since will tell you if you run over those eggs they wont hatch. Ha. You got farmers and then you have hunters. Most farmers could care less about wildlife. Where i on the other hand enjoy it and dont wanna shred fawns and turkey eggs. But to each is there own.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Only male and bearded birds may be harvested in the spring. Bearded hens represent less than 5% of the hen population. 1 gobbler can breed countless hens. If the number of turkeys killed during the spring season hurts the overall population....then we shouldn’t be hunting them period. Bedsides if we are concerned about the male population numbers....wouldn’t a reduction in bag limits be a better course of action? A reduction in the length of season?

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Nobody in my area is cutting hay yet. Why are they in other places this early?

9. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    They started cutting around here in Hardin County last weekend. We always waited until Memorial Day weekend when we had cattle.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've seen hay being cut & raked for about two weeks now here around Murray (Calloway County).

Which I passed a field last Saturday and commented to my wife that their probably getting a few turkey nest.

But.... its farming and understand my thought process and theirs is two different things.

11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Is it a necessity that it gets cut now? I no farmer so idk.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Somewhat as rib165 stated..... traditionally around Memorial Day is when a lot of hay is cut.

Which years ago...still in school... we went from setting tobacco to hauling hay about the time school let out for the summer.

Is it a necessity.... that's probably a yes and no answer.

Being weather dictates a lot of it.... and simply timing between corn / tobacco... beans and thrashing wheat.

If they wait later...its going to interfere with row crops ....and with hay..you can wait too long...especially if your attempting two cuttings.

13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    There's a lot of people cutting and wrapping wheat to clear the fields so beans can be planted also first cutting of alfalfa needs to happen when the weather permits, none of my pasture hayfields will be ready for several weeks

14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    This ^^^^. If they wait, they risk losing the head and they also risk ruining a good second cutting.

15. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Not allowing afternoon hunting isn't necessarily to limit the harvest. It is done mainly to limit hunting pressure. Even though hens aren't legal for harvest during spring, their activities are still influenced by hunting pressure.

hollandhunter likes this.