Kdfwr turkey survey link

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by WaterDog88, May 8, 2018.

1. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Maybe he was the one biologist out of ten that didn't think a 1pm cutoff would have any effect. From my experience, any way you can limit hunting pressure will increase gobbling activity. Also, when we had a 1pm cutoff, turkeys were much more predictable in their roosting locations. George Wright always related less hunting pressure to more successful nesting activity. I guess that alone makes the argument 1-1.

RLWEBB, Dark Cloud and hollandhunter like this.
  2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I don't know this personally to be true but I've heard from pretty reliable sources .... that George Wright was very much against Ky having fall seasons.

Especially as quickly as we implemented them after the final restocking efforts concluded.

Which I'm not against fall seasons and understand some enjoy to hunt them during that time. Even know a couple guys that invested quite a bit into dogs just to hunt them in the fall.

Guess I was raised up in a time you protected your hens... as you wanted maximum production to get more birds. Which I never quite understood the fairly liberal bag limits KDF&WR's allowed and the claims of winter mortality. Which don't get me wrong...I understand there's exceptions on our winters... but overall were pretty mild and believe more birds make it though than what has been stated.

3. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Biology is Biology no matter the species. Females are your key to reproduction.
    As with most animal species, especially the ones which are considered game, the males will breed multiple females.
    Regardless of what, if anything, the blood test of dead turkeys reveal, I just don't see a viable solution from that aspect. I'm not aware of a situation you can administer a scientific remedy for disease or infertility to a wild , free ranging population of any animal.

Most game species population are regulated through harvest or lack of.

It seems the perception from the majority of hunters and observers, is the population is down in a lot of areas. The only other tool available is Telecheck which backs up these claims.

In my opinion the only logical step to take would be to eliminate hen harvest. If not state wide, at least in the counties with several years of significantly declining harvest numbers based on telecheck.

Removing hens from harvest affects very few hunters according to telecheck. But any hen allowed to survive the fall or archery hunting seasons is one more to possibly contribute to the population. The argument that there is a winter kill and that the hen harvest doesn't have an impact is silly.

While telecheck is not perfect, it is the only reliable data there is.

Just my .02 worth. And who knows maybe it is some natural ebb and flow of the population but eliminating hens from the harvest will not have any negative impact on the population so why not start there? It's the only thing that can be changed immediately with little impact on hunter satisfaction.

rlb165 and mudhole crossing like this.
  4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I agree on everything u just said.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Curious as to what biological evidence can be given to show that all day hunts diminish turkey populations? Also, which states have the largest turkey numbers? Do they allow hunting all day?

6. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I found a nest back in April with 9 eggs, came back today to check it out and there are still 9 eggs, no hen around and doesn’t look like they have been sat on for r a while

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My BIL hit 9 nests mowing hay. Didn’t hurt the eggs as he keeps the blade high. I doubt they return given they are wide open now. Hope they lay again.

8. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Dang that sucks

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I wander if u put them under a chicken would they hatch out lettem leave if they want when they get ready?

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    No clue. One hen stayed on the nest and he killed her. The rest flew

11. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Well maybe the tractors are the major predators rather than coon, fox, possum, skunks, and crows. Be hard to keep the tractor numbers in check.

12. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I'll let u know in 5 more days

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Next week me and my buddy will be starting mowing hay. It takes a little time WE WALK THE FIELDS before we mow. Find a Fawn we move it to fence row. Find a nest we mark it and mow way around it about 20 yards all the way around it. Don't know how many Fawns we moved and saved SEVERAL. Missed 1 killed it made us sick. SAVED 5 Turkey nest. Worth the walk. 146 acres of hay. A LOT OF WALIKING.

RLWEBB, rlb165 and mudhole crossing like this.
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    You are a compassionate man and I give you credit. Mowing a fawn is not fun at all. Just a terrible occurrence....but man I don’t think I’m going to walk that much. Call me lazy.