Kleber/Rich WMA

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cowbell Stalker, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cowbell Stalker

Cowbell Stalker Fawn

Apr 19, 2015
    Daughter and I got drawn for the Dec hunt. Any information would be appreciated (areas to check out, hunter pressure, ridges or hollows?)I have never been to this WMA. Really want my daughter to see some action!

2. DePre

DePre Spike

Sep 8, 2016
    Look at the power lines on the map. Takes a little walking but they usually hold several deer.

Cowbell Stalker likes this.
  3. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Take her up there for the youth hunt and scout as well.

4. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Several nice ridges and small hollows up the old grassy road going
    on pass the gun range. Ive hunted several of them,seen deer every
    time.Take a 2 wheel deer cart with you,you will need it.Best I can
    remember the third ridge on the right pass the gun range has a big
    oak hardwoods at the top of the ridge.Its about a 400 yd slightly sloping
    walk up there. GOOD LUCK

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Kleber is a good draw with plenty of deer. Agree with the comments as you should try to "get off the beaten path" just a little bit.

6. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I got the same hunt. good luck.

7. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I hunted it hard last year (did not even see a deer during the Dec quota hunt)...that said, I applied but did not get it this year :(
    HOWEVER, on Dec 7, 2013--I harvested my largest buck ever from there on the Dec quota hunt...a 9 1/2 year old (per the neighboring land owner) heavy 10 pt...

Three areas I would suggest you check out (and would also advise you to take advantage of the Youth Hunt)...
    1. Mount Vernon--this is where I turkey hunt (and where I harvested the big 10 pt)
    From Cedar Road, turn onto KY 1707 and cross the bridge...drive back in the hollow about 3 miles, road will split to the right up a hill...continue following it back (narrow one lane)--this will take you to a gate (normally closed, but open during the quota hunt)...there are several spots I have seen deer in here and hunted: (1) just back from the gate on the right--go over the hill to a small bottom--and turn back towards the road--a really good deer trail loops around the bottom and deer use it heavily (discovered during turkey season), (2) last ridge line on the left before the second gate borders private land...follow it back and drop down the second point on the right (this is where I hunted last year--and despite not seeing anything--deer sign was everywhere), (3) at the second gate, follow the "road" on the left back 150ish yards to where it branches...take the right handed branch...I killed the big 10 pt in the bottom of the right handed hollow about 150 yards down that trail...there is a small field/briar patch/swamp in the bottom--be warned, it about killed another hunter and myself (and a game cart) getting it out...​
    2. Main Unit--directly across the road from the check station...
    Follow the "road" past the house until it levels out (this is a fair walk)...go back just past the field on the left and check out the point on the right...saw a big 8 in there a few years back...lots of sign in that location following a snow fall too...​
    3. Horse trail--turn off of Cedar road about 100 yards before the check station and follow the gravel road to the gate...
    From there follow the "road" back until it branches (take the branch that goes up hill to the left)...just before the road reaches the main top, there is another branch that swings back left again and runs into a "hidden valley"...lots of deer sign in there but there is a lot of space too...best sign the last time I was in there was a trail that ran just below the ridge line...​

Best of luck to you...there are some really good deer in there...

bondhu and Cowbell Stalker like this.
  8. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I've probably run into you out there before during turkey season. I remember talking to a guy who said he killed a big one that was really old during the quota hunt.

9. Cowbell Stalker

Cowbell Stalker Fawn

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am leaving Saturday for an annual "grouse week" in Wisconsin so I will not be able to check the area out during youth season. I do plan on going the last weekend of October for a scouting day. DePre, Cornpile and Teach Deer I will check some of these areas out. I really appreciate the insight; I like the sound of the areas you guys describe. WaterDog88: good luck to you also!

10. WILD

WILD 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Me and you know that walk all to well,remember that big bright flash of light about 5:30 in the mourning on the way up there....years ago .lol

11. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    "flash of light" details?

12. chester.barnes24

chester.barnes24 Fawn

Mar 6, 2016
    Anyone ever hunted close to the pond?

13. WILD

WILD 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Have no idea what it was,it was in the sky and looked like a blue bomb went off with no sound,might of been a shooting start I assume,but it always left a mark in my memory when we hunted there,it was kind cool.not freaked out or anything along those lines.

14. WILD

WILD 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Which pound,there are a lot of pounds.too many to count.