Knife sharping

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by brow_tines, Nov 13, 2003.

1. brow_tines

brow_tines 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Lake Cumberland, KY.
    first of all I would like to say this is one fo the better hunting sites I have found on the web, lots of good information and very nice people. Now here's my question I was wondering on how everyone sharpens there knives. I know a wet rock and a leather belt does a fine job, but I just hate to put scratches on the blade of the Kissing Krane. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I use the Lansky Sharpening system. It is great and your blades will still look brand new. There are even some accesories you can buy for it that allows you to attach to a workbench and stuff like that. The first link is to the system that I have, and the second link is to their home page.

http://www.lansky.com/products/systems/universal.html
    http://www.lansky.com/

Hope this helps you, and WELCOME to the sight, I'm pretty new myself but feel like one of the guys already![:D][:D][:D]

3. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Welcome and ditto on the Lansky System.
    If you are real worried about scratches, put masking tape on the blade, just don't cover the working edge.

4. ksp771

ksp771 10 pointer

DITO DITO......Lansky Diamond sharpening system will put an edge on my benchmade ATS34 steel that you can shave the hair from your arm. Also spend the extra $8.00 and be sure to get the Blue saphire polishing stone. It is alot better than using a belt.

http://www.wrightsweaponsystems.com

5. MontyM

MontyM Fawn

Sep 18, 2003
    Frankfort, Ky, USA.
    Dito on the Lansky, just don't sharpen the kitchen knives with it. My wife had to go to the ER to get her finger to stop bleeding.

"You can't grill it till you kill it"
    Ted Nugent

6. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MontyM</i>
    <br />Dito on the Lansky, just don't sharpen the kitchen knives with it. My wife had to go to the ER to get her finger to stop bleeding.

"You can't grill it till you kill it"
    Ted Nugent
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D].......A 4 or 5 time ditto on the Lansky. I've got bout 5 knives right here to attest to the ability of a Lansky.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

7. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I have always used several different grades of oil stones, with WD-40 as a cutting oil. Dose not matter what you use as long as its not too course.
    As a finishing touch I strope the blade on a strip of belt leather (with no dyes or finishes). Adding a rubbing compond or cigerette ash helps to take off the burr.
    I am currently looking for a source for leather belts for a belt sander. I had a friend that has one (lives in another state). I used it once and got an unbelievable edge on a Cold Steel folder. I later used that knife to gut, skin, and do a lot of the processing of a deer without having to resharpen it.
    When using leather, use the opposite of a cutting stroke. Edge against leather at 30 deg. angle, moving away as not to cut the leather.

8. tnRick

tnRick Spike

Dec 17, 2001
    Murfreesboro, Tn.
    Used the Lansky in the past but due to being lazy and impatient I switched to the electric sparpener that you see in Bass Pro and Cableas. Works great, very quick, and no scratches. Costs about 125.

Hunt hard, Hunt often, Hunt Safe

9. Huntaholic

Huntaholic 6 pointer

May 2, 2002
    Another vote for Lansky! No scratches and the edge looks better than factory!

10. HardinCountyHunter

HardinCountyHunter Spike

Jan 2, 2003
    Upton, KY, USA.
    I use a Lansky also. It is easy to use. I never had enough skill to use wetrocks.