Kudo's to Barney!!!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I'm not allowed to attend any family holiday functions without making up a batch of his beer cheese to take along!!! So rather than risk disownment from the family I love & hold dear, I pop the top on a bottle, fire up the mixer & mix away!!

[​IMG]

bondhu, xbokilla, Munson and 3 others like this.
  2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I might need a recipe for that :D

3. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Here's the recipe he sent me. My family likes to use Killian's for the beer....

Barney’s Beer Cheese Dip
    16 oz Velveeta cheese cubed
    16 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 12 oz bottle dark beer
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or to taste)
    1/4 tsp. red pepper powder (or to taste)
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Place all ingredients in an 8 cup microwave bowl. Heat on high for three minutes and stir with spoon. Heat again on high for two minutes then mix with hand mixer until smooth. Store in refrigerator.
    Makes approximately 5 cups of dip.

Nock, drakeshooter, JR PORTER and 4 others like this.
  4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Thank you! I will definitely be giving this a try this weekend!

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, Lady Hunter!
    We have tried other recipes over the last few years, but that one is still the one everyone likes the best. I'm glad your family enjoys it too!

Lady Hunter likes this.
  6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Barney,
    What do you call dark beer or better yet, what beer do you use?

EdLongshanks likes this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    To the best of my knowledge all I've ever used is Budweiser.

Bee and Regulator623 like this.
  8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

So not dark beer like a Sam Adams Lager or darker like a Guinness?

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never used any of those I know for sure. The recipe came from my mother years ago, she always used Miller. I will have to give the Guinness a try this weekend.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sam Adams is better in my opinion. Or if you like hoppy beer then my favorite is Wicked Weed Pernicious.

barney likes this.
  11. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    :)Been a few good topics here on beer cheese in the past. Using our own handed down "old family" recipe ourselves, we just handed out twenty five jars of it for Xmas. Some of our friends get real ticked off if they have not received it at least a week before Santa comes. Our old family is apparently not related to Barneys old family. At least as far as the recipes for beer cheese!;);) There is one key ingredient common to the families though--you guessed it --Budweiser

Lady Hunter and barney like this.
  12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We've tried various recipes too but always keep coming back to yours. (My niece & nephew are already fighting over it & I won't even be there with it until tomorrow. And I always take separate containers for each of them!)

barney likes this.
  13. A local joint has beer cheese soup every Friday and it’s the best ever. I’ve never been able to duplicate it.

14. BTW since this is kinda sorta a beer thread lol, I’ve been drinking this lately. 7.5% alcohol means a 6er hits you a bit stouter than average. I bet it would make good soup if it wasn’t $10 a 6 pack.

[​IMG]

bondhu, Ataulbe1 and barney like this.
  15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    If you figure it out...post the recipe! I've been trying to find a good one too. And wondering if it ain't worth a trip down in your neck of the woods some Friday for some beer cheese soup!

drakeshooter likes this.