KY in a week

Discussion in 'Camping' started by josh chatham, Mar 14, 2017.

1. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    I am a teacher from GA. We have spring break the first week of April. Myself, my wife and 2 kids (4 and 3) were wanting to start at LBL and move our way east. Any recommendations after LBL. Probably wont be doing any primitive camping bc of the kids. We were thinking LBL and maybe Mammoth Cave and after that we are wide open. Should we spend a few days at each or would you guys go to other places. Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. timer

timer 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    For kids that age I'd suggest checking out the campground at the KY Horse Park - just outside of Lexington.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Are you staying hotel/motel, RV or what? Most of our State Park Resorts are nice. You could go Mammoth Cave, Lake Cumberland, Cumberland Falls, Natural Bridge, there are more east too just not sure about how much time you'll have.

4. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    We are primarily going to be tent camping. We do a good bit of camping in GA just have never been to KY and we have been wanting to see it. Thanks for the information and any other you have will be appreciated!

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Great recommendations. I'm really partial to Jenny Wiley state park as well.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sorry Josh when you said you weren't doing primitive, I assumed no tent. All of these places have campgrounds as well. Word of advice, it can get very brisk, especially at night, here that time of year. I live about 5 mins from Ky Horsepark as mentioned above. Lots for a kid to do your just not exactly "getting back to nature". Have fun. My little girl just turned 4 and thinks camping is the best thing in the world.

7. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks guys! Yeah my idea of camping before marriage and kids was walking a day or 1/2 a day into the woods and sleeping under the stars. Now we have to have bathrooms and showers haha. Things sure do change. But Im glad I have a wife and kids that like being outside (as long as there are bathrooms around). THanks again! Cant wait to get up there!

8. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I work at Mammoth Cave. If you plan to take a cave tour while there, reserve something now. Everything has been sold out days in advance and will continue to be till spring break is over.

9. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks for the advice Brutus! I have no idea about a cave tour. How long are they? Sounds like a great time! Also, which campground would you recommend at MC?

10. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Ah man you gotta take the cave tour. Thats the parks whole deal. I dont think they have the gun fights up on Gun top mountain no more.

11. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    Will do Bondhu! Ill call and make reservations today. Sounds pretty cool!

12. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    What you are doin with your family is great. Hope you all have a great and safe trip. My opinion is that Ky state parks are A1. Let us Know how it was.

13. josh chatham

josh chatham Fawn

Feb 3, 2016
    Sure will! I do not know how to load pics on here but Im sure my wife will know how. Ill post up the highlights when we get back. Thanks again!

14. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    There are several tours starting at 1-1/2 hrs to 4 hrs. All are great. There are 3 campgrounds and back country camping. The main campground is where its all at. No hook ups but there are clean restrooms and right now firewood everywhere. You have to go to the Campstore and buy a token for a shower.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Josh
    Hi. Just being nosey. Wondering how the trip went and where you went while here?
    Thanks