Ky Whole Hog

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by bondhu, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Got the hog scalded and ice down yesterday. Was going for butterflied, but hog dressed out 225 + so we split him. Weather is killing us we may break him down some more. Light the hickory at 3 pm. Inject him and dry rub 4 pm. Hopefully on smoker by 5 pm Friday.
    Here in Ky there's a lot of Old Kentucky Families like mine we've lost kin in every war the USA has been involved with. May God Bless the families of those who have sacrificed all for America. This holiday let us remember those who have passed on before. To all the graduates cinch that bull rope down tight and hang on, life is as fast as 8 seconds. Good Luck.
    I hope everyone has a safe one.
    Shout out to Capttrea, if you have that boat docked around Maysville Saturday holler at me. I got a shot of woodford double oak and pig pickins waitin on ya.
    IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1472.JPG

2. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    old fashon hog killing

3. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Finished up the bacon and ham on one of my durocs this week. Can't get my bacon pics small enough. Nothing like home raised pork.

Attached Files:

bondhu likes this.
  4. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Did it

Attached Files:

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm jealous. Sounds like a blast. There's a good chance I'll be in mason county on Saturday. Just saying....:)

6. biged57

biged57 Fawn

Nov 17, 2013
    Some mighty fine eating there hope you'll had some liver in the ashes all ways my favorite

mudhole crossing likes this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Old school scalding box. I like it!

8. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Because of the cool rains we broke miss piggy down into smaller pieces. Pulled shoulders around 16 hours.
    Never got a pic of picking pig everybody was busy. all in all a success hog was great and only 3 minor injury's
    #1 from the hog that didn't want to give up the ghost,
    #2 lighting water heater
    #3 somebody thought we needed one more watermelon corked!

IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1497.JPG

nock and Gooch like this.
  9. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I bet you're still trying to find some Smokey pig juices under a fingernail.

10. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
  11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Any of you all want to tell us how to construct the scalding box?

12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    The one we have came from an old slaughter house with gas burners under it.But have heard of guys using the metal water tanks and 4 concrete blocks and shoveling coals under it from a burn pile.

13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I'm going to have to figure something out. Need to find a hog source to buy on the hoof. Been paying rediculous prices for BBQ hogs from the Slaughter house. I would prefer to to do it all myself anyway. May try the water trough idea.

14. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If your serious and around Louisville you got the State Fair coming up find out what days hog showings are and go talk to those Ky farmers they will hook you up. The guy we get ours from will be there why I mentioned it.
    Dont forget to get you a country ham sandwich , cup of fresh squeeze lemonade and ice cream from the old john Deere popper motor.

15. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Oh, I am serious. And thanks for the tip. I am sure I will be at the Fair at some point. have to look them fellas up. I will try to hunt down one of those ice creams while I'm at it.