Ky Whole Hog

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by bondhu, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Just have a scalding box welded up. Set it up on a wood fired furnace, or make some gas blowers and heat it with gas.

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Yup!! Salt and pepper, foil it up, and stick it in the coals

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    My grandfather has some "giant" cast iron hog scalding kettles.

They looked like this--but seemed to be a little bit bigger.

[​IMG]

My grandmother always looked forward to hog killin' season (in October) because she traded the lard for other stuff.

I wish I had the skills my grandparents had. And I'm betting my great-great grandparents had superior skills to even what my grandparents had.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    You could make a lot of bean soup in one of those!

bondhu likes this.
  5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    LOL! Always seemed to be "musical" whenever we visited.

6. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    The neighbors I helped with hog butchering used washtubs on blocks to heat the water for scalding. They used cooking pots to dip up boiling water from the tubs and scalded a spot, scraped it, then scalded another spot and scraped that. Never saw anyone dunk a whole hog all at once. Both ways work.

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Dad had a big iron kettle he always used,to heat water to scald hogs,pretty much the way KYT said,my mother would also use it to make lie soap.Hog killings were pretty much a neighborhood thing back in those days,everybody helped each other.

8. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    My papaws hog box had 2 chains at each end they layed in box and pulled them back forth in the hot ass water, then you took a metal scraper and scraped hair off, nasty job but they were shaved ready to butchers

9. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I have 5 of the large cast iron pots handed down through my family for years but I currently skin my hogs as it is less effort overall. Got a Yorkshire around 275 I will be butchering along with a mutt around 225 first of next month. 0807172002-1-1.jpg

10. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    I stopped scalding a couple years ago. I too skin mine. I started smoking the bellies for my bacon and like the flavor a lot better than salt cured and never cared for salt cured ham or jowl so, skinning is better for us.