Laurel Lake

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by weedwalker, Mar 8, 2012.

1. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    What's the water conditions? High? Clear? Dingy? Muddy? Temp? I'm thinking about trying it saturday.

2. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'm going down there tomorrow, hopefully they'll be biting.

3. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    The farthest down I've ever seen muddy/dingy water was that large area around High Top/Flatwoods section. Once around the bend, it got clear real quick and down by Craig's Creek, stays clear. I don't know if I've ever heard of the lake being muddy everywhere. Good luck! Post pics if you can.

4. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    caught a couple smallies trolling for trout thursday. one nice one that broke me off and another one that was a little over 15 inches. like everyone else said there is always clear water somewhere. Put in at holly bay and you should be in good shape. I might be there in the morning also

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I'm going to put in at Grove. A buddy of mine went there today. He said at Grove the water was clear and 49*. Up past High Top near the power lines he said it started getting muddy and 54*. He caught 1 bass about 3 lbs is all.
    I'll be in a 16' blue & grey Ranger Cherokee w/Merc. If you see me stop by and say hi.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Pics from fishin this weekend on laurel lake, fished for trout most of the time and me and my friend caught our limit friday and saturday. Caught a nice (in my eyes) smallmouth saturday late in the day, 17 inches which is my biggest smallmouth ever, of course thats not saying much haha
    trout.JPG trout..JPG sm.JPG

7. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    where did you catch the big bluegill at and how if you dont care to share?

8. KYMISTWALKER

KYMISTWALKER Fawn

Mar 11, 2012
    BEREA,KY
    what bait are you throwing?

good mess.

9. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    We put in at the marsh branch boat ramp, about half a mile or so away on the right back in a cove right on the edge of grasses. Used dark rooster tails and caught everything on them, me and my friend caught tons of trout and threw a lot back obviously because of the limit. The bluegill was just a random catch in between the trout, but rooster tails were the way to go.

10. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Hey, is Marshes Branch still a bad place to park due to theft? I used to park at the trailhead parking lot long ago and hike the mile or so to White Oak Campground and stay a couple of days, but people have told me lately that druggies hit the cars parked basically all around Laurel Lake and since Marshes is so remote, I wondered if it was safe or not to park there? Also, I've "heard" that Marshes was a good area for early Walleye.

I may have to impose myself upon some of ya'll and trade my charming wit and worldly persona (see bulls-it) for a good fishing trip. Since I don't have a boat and probably won't until next year depending upon my job interview tomorrow.

Great catch guys!

11. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I've only been down there a few times but our trucks stay down there for 2 days and we've never had any trouble, but not sure how it usually is, a local will probably know more about that stuff.

12. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    In the past, I've used both Marsh Branch and Flatwoods ramps a lot. I've never had a problem myself but there are a lot of break-ins at those ramps. Anymore I just use Grove and don't worry about it.

13. Pinwheel8

Pinwheel8 8 pointer

Jun 28, 2006
    Corbin
    All the ramps can be bad for theft. I use the Grove mostly but I had someone steal my gas out of my jeep there.

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    fish 001.jpg Fished Laurel Saturday. Here is the result

15. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Couple more. Also caught several spots and caught several more short large/small mouth. Bass fished only. fish 003.jpg