Lightning bugs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by muddhunter, May 4, 2018.

1. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    There is a new lighting bug book called "Fireflys, Glowworms and Lightning Bugs"
    written by Lynn Faust. She is the scientist who discovered the incredible synchronized lighting bug displays at Elkmont in the Great Smoky Mtn National Park. Today the GSMNP schedules thousand of visitors for reservations to see this incredible natural synchronized display in late May or Early June.

If you want a copy , The book can be purchased off the internet; google it. The book has received acclaim by scientists and regular folks as well because it is written in an entertaining style and highly informative.It is the first serious field guide to the eastern US flashing bugs. Lots of information and lots of photos., if you want to be accurate in referencing the bugs.

Lynn tells me the early flashers I see in my deep woods yard (south of most of Ky) are the same species that are the first ones seen in early spring in much of the the eastern US. They start low to the ground and end up flashing in tree tops about ten PM. I saw a lot in my yard this year around first week of April Some years I have seen them inlets week of March. They would be later in April or May further north.

Lynn is trying to find the farthest north population lighting bugs known as the "blue ghosts." This species is recognizable by people who know nothing about lightning bugs because they glow constantly and fly very low to the ground this time of year. Last year she found the farthest north population (so far)near McKee Kentucky in Jackson County. She is asking the hunters, farmers, or others to be on the lookout for the blue Ghost glowing and flying slowly two feet off the ground? Especially West Virginia and Kentucky Hunters. Most of their glowing is done the hour after dark. Her email is tnlfaust@gmail.com. If you see them contact her.

muddhunter likes this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    They’re everywhere now!

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Yep. Starting to see quite a few here in Louisville.

4. Billy02

Billy02 Fawn

May 18, 2018
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe few more days.

5. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Mudd and X. do these bugs climb in to trees later in evening ( more common bugs) or do they hover a t ground level only (like the rare blue ghosts)?