Long drive

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by oaktreeplanter, Nov 14, 2018.

1. oaktreeplanter

oaktreeplanter Fawn

Jul 29, 2018
    Marshall County
    I drove all the way across the state this week from the west end to Pikeville and back. There is a lot of great hunting land in our state, but we aren't doing a very good job of controlling our deer numbers by hunting as the dead deer on the road side proves. Oh well at least we have plenty when we do hunt so the success rate is high:)

2. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I take dead deer on the roads as a sign of a healthy herd... I prefer it to when I started and we only had 6 days of gun with one doe day.

ojibwa62 and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Dead deer on the roadways is normal this time of year, not just in Ky either. I just drove to NW Indiana and back and seen dozens of dead deer. What I found strange was in the flat land wide open cornfields along hwy 41 and hwy 63 was at least a dozen of dead ran over yotes.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    you are so right.
    In the four years I lived in NH I saw 1 dead deer on the interstate between Rochester and Portsmouth NH, that's about a 30 mile stretch of HWY.. I have seen more deer here this fall then I saw in the whole time I lived up there. State of NH does not have a clue as to how to manage and grow a healthy deer herd.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. MoMan

MoMan Fawn

Oct 4, 2018
    Western KY
    Well, I did my job Friday night heading home from hunting!! YEP, had 1 run right into the side of my truck. He came out of nowhere running at full charge from beside a barn. He was on the side of the barn where I didn't see him until he actually hit my truck. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to call to look at the damage. I am taking it to a shop that a Buddy of mine owns to get him to let me know what it is going to fix 'er up, before the adjuster comes by. I want to have a number in my pocket to make sure the adjuster doesn't try to screw me over, it is after all their job. Another Buddy who worked at a shop for a while took a look at it and said he guessing somewhere in the $6500 to $7000 range. It sucks, but that's why we pay insurance.

Now I gotta get out there a take a couple of these deer out of the fields!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  6. FBICAT

FBICAT Spike

Nov 30, 2009
    Graves County
    Few weeks ago my son and I left Fulton county and ended up in Martin county for a hunt. I agree our state offers some great hunting. From the banks of the Mississippi to West Va border.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

On long drives to hunt what is the longest you have done. We drove 1224 miles one way my driveway in NW Indiana to the outfitters driveway in Cowen and Pine River mid Manitoba bear hunting several times. Other than that a lope hunt in Wy was the longest, we didn't drive any of my vehicles on that trip so I don't know how far that was out there but with 3 of us driving it took two days to get there.

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    Have to say a couple hours is the longest I've had to drive for a hunt. We're blessed here in Ky that we have good hunting across the state. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hunt moose, or pronghorn, sheep, etc. But we have a "target rich environment" right here in Ky and I don't take as much advantage as I should.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I agree with the target rich environment in Ky but I was in a financial position and was on Pro staff for a major archery company and got a few perks along the way. I could do out of state hunts for game that was not available in Ky nor Indiana where I spent over 30 years working. And some of those OOS hunts were not cheap. I have a few mounts on the wall and just a thing for me that none of them were killed or caught in Ky or Indiana. I don't do deer mounts but a couple euro mounts the grandson wanted because he knew the deer from watching them near the backyard feeder and wanted them for his wall, but was just to young to hunt at the time.
    Now other than a OOS goose hunt once and a while to NE Ark and SEMO I hunt about 10 foot from this computer off the back deck or ride my atv about a mile to my favorite box blind.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018