Looking for advice DIY trip

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bdl605, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I am looking for some advice. Wanting to take my 15yo to South Dakota in Oct for a DIY mule deer bow hunt. We are going to the Belle Fourche area and plan on hunting walk in and BLM land. With the regulations on not bringing any spinal column or brain back into the state what are guys doing to get a deer back for mounting? I know skinning and capping the skull is logical but not so easily done in a best western parking lot. I have talked with a local processor and that doesn't deem like a good plan if you want to be budget friendly it was close to $350 per deer to process and have it ready for transport out of state. If I do figure out skinning and quartering without freaking out a bunch of people then I have leftover parts to deal with and somehow dispose of. Any good ideas would be appreciated

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Just about have to do it out in the field, even if its just alongside a road on BLM land. Bone out the meat, cape it if you are comfortable, skin it up to base of neck and remove entire skull from spinal column if you don't want to cape. If you have room to toss a cordless drill in your truck, chuck up a bent piece of wire, stick it into brain from back opening in skull and spin to liquefy brain matter to pull/dump it out the back (that's what we do with NM mulies we want to keep skulls intact for european style mounts)

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Have a Taxidermist up there mount one for you. And ship it to you. I have found on big game taxidermist that are familiar with game from the area they live do a lot better job.

elkaholic likes this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I saw these guys a week or so ago. IMG_0323.JPG
    There was one more, but this is a better photo.
    Also saw a Bull Elk out on the Montana Prairie, but he was 450 yards and didn't want to stay around for a photo shoot.

5. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    Awesome pic jr. We have never hunted out west, can't wait to give it a try.

6. BGtaxi

BGtaxi Fawn

Oct 9, 2016
    You could call a few taxidermists in the area you will be hunting and see if they will cape , salt and clean the skullcap for you , then do your own butchering/deboning from there , that shouldn't be too pricey and you won't have to worry a bit about the hide or leaving something you're not supposed to. Clean means no meat , tissue or membrane attached , doing it halfway may work for some but sooner or later the right taxi or game warden will catch it and the fines and trouble will cost much more than just doing right in the first place. Having it mounted there is an option but will more than likely be substantially more expensive than anything in KY , most taxidermists out west charge real money for their services , that trend hasn't caught on here yet and sadly probably never will

7. BGtaxi

BGtaxi Fawn

Oct 9, 2016
    And get comfortable with loooonnnngg distance shooting with possible strong crosswinds

8. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    Take a deer cart with your and/or pack frame and just plan on quartering any deer up in the field. If you plan on mounting the animal view a few videos online and make a cut where you are taking about 3/4 of the cape. basically from the rear quarters forward. A good bone or hack saw to get the neck off. You can still have a processor take the quarters and back straps and process/package/freeze to transport it back home if you wish.

Call ahead to some area taxidermist and see if you can arrange for one to cape your head and how much they would charge you. If it's a last day kill, then you could be in a pickle no matter what, so like a boy scout you should always be prepared.

One of the Havalon knives have sharp blades, are each to change out and are great for caping in the field. You can also buy what a taxidermist uses to cape around eyes, nose and mouth. It's not hard to do and like above, watch a fiew videos online or go buy your local taxidermist to watch him do one or two and it's something you can do on your own. Just take your time. Make small cuts and you will have the skin off before you know it.

I can agree that a guy that mounts more western game than a guy who mounts predominantly whitetails may do a better job with the detail in a particular western game mount, but unless you plan to travel back to hunt the area again and can pick the animal up, I'm not sure I would leave it to be mounted. You will not be considered a 'regular' customer. Today's shipping by dimensional weight is crazy and for the most part, your mount will be a freight type shipment and can run as much as the mount by the time the guy charges you for building the crate it needs to ship in. I've had good and bad experiences with leaving mounts out of state to be mounted. Bad to the point I will not do it again.

Good luck to you and your son. Nothing like hunting out west.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

And that's the truth. Tho I did kill a lope at 7 yards hunting out of a blind.

10. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    Like others stated you will need to have everything with you coolers and knives skin and quarters or debone all your meat and leave all your scraps in the woods for the varmits . Watch some u-tube vids if needed they can show you how to cape the face as well or call a local taxidermist in the area to cape the face. Then you will need to freeze the cape or salt the cape and dry it out in the shade and freeze or Ice down your meat for return home. We always leave the drain plug on cooler open so water will drain out. Hope this helps it’s worth the trouble hunting out West is a awsome .

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Don't you have to leave proof of sex on harvested animals in some western states

12. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Yes some states do. That is a good thing to remind people of. Most western states take game laws very serious.

13. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    Thanks for all the help guys all good advice I'm thinking of just taking an enclosed trailer with a cheap deep freezer and my generator. I worry about a last minute harvest just figure be a good way to make sure the meat is good to go plus it would be nice have extra room I tend to over pack. If I were dealing with a whitetail would not be to worried but if my son connects with a decent one the pressure will be on me to get it right lol! We've been shooting and comfortable out to 60yrds and in some decent winds what I've read that should be good any thoughts? Any you guys who've hunted out there how plentiful are the rattle snakes? I'm not a snake guy? Stay clear of southern slopes or is it sporatic?

14. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    As far as hunting style is the mule deer spot and stalk an all day long venture? Is there a time you need to leave em to it or you just find em and go for it if wind is good? Alot of on line vids look like they locate em in the morning then wait till afternoon to move in. Any advice?

15. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    RATTLESNAKES??
    Watch out for Rattlesnakes anytime you are out in warmer weather. This last trip I was on was the only one I did Not encounter rattlesnakes, but I always go in the Summer. Seems like there's a law against killing Prairie Rattler for what's worth.
    Good Luck.