"lowest on record"

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bee, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm with you I don't shoot Jake's or hens / but if someone does that's ok with me you buy a tag shoot what ya want.

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have killed a few jakes but i have passed a bunch too. In the years past there have always been jakes on my my farms and they normally hang out with each other. So i just try to not hunt them. If theres 10 jakes gobbling on my place and 1 long beard i will hunt the long beard. But if one of those jakes makes for a good hunt and or fools me yea i will pull the trigger. To me its about the hunt and the food more so then size.
    But with numbers down my tactics may change this year. No more birds then im hearing and seeing its prolly best the jakes be left alone. Along with the bearded hens. I always said if i killed a bearded hen i would never kill another. Well a couple of years ago i killed one with about a 6 or 7 inch thick beard. An i actually thought she was a gobbler untill after the shot. Yea i rushed my shot but it was a tough hunt and it happened quick. Never the less i was tickled with her and she ate good too. I will never kill another one.
    Bottom line if its legal and it makes you happy let it roll. We trust our game laws and bag limits and if they need to be changed im all for that too.

3. Figured I would ruffle some feathers. Not at all trying to dictate what hunters should shoot. I've hunted turkeys since our season opened in the 90s. To me now it is all about the hunt. Taking a youth or introducing someone to turkey hunting. Getting to see someone take their first bird brings back that first one I killed. To this day I can still see that very hunt and I know there will be a day I won't be able to remember it. Just don't start crying when you're not seeing any gobblers and you killed two Jakes ( LEGAL BIRDS ) the year before. I'm sure there are hunters that will shoot a bearded hen knowing she is a hen just to fill their tags. True a LEGAL BIRD but I refuse to. I rather see her poults in the fall. Here we go.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    hollandhunter likes this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    You aren't ruffle my feathers. I have hunted Turkey in Ky in LBL in the 60s and when it opened in the state in the 70s in some counties. To me it is about the hunt to. That's why I don't shoot a Jake or Hen. I remember ALL MY HUNTS EVEN TAKING MY SONS AND GRANDSONS. You arent talking to a ROOKIE HERE. OVER 50 YEARS OF HUNTING TURKEY. THE DAY I START CRYING ABOUT NOT SEE A GOBBLER. I WILL CALL YOU AND LET YOU KNOW. AS A GROWN MAN I DONT CRY OVER SMALL STUFF. I see plenty of Turkey and TOMS just like Sunday right in my back yard. I just see as many as I used to. Instead of seeing 50 or 60 a day to I may now see 20 to 30 a day. So every things COOL I got a WALL FULL of FANS and SPURS. So now I CRAPPIE FISH just about all Turkey season. Killed so many Turkey not really interested if I get one or not. I let my sons chase em. I killed so many don't care if I ever kill another but if I want to hunt one I can get one.

5. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Anybody have a link to the data showing low hatch numbers on fwky?

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
  7. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    The original quote I paraphrased in the first post was sort of an aside comment in the Grouse information from DFW in some the small hatch information. The comment was to the effect that in 2017 the grouse hatch was not good and likewise the turkey hatch was not good , with the turkey hatch at lows not seen since the poults surveys started in the 90's. Somebody seems to have changed their opinion slightly or got other statistics according to the newspaper article. It appears it is a bad hatch/survival anyway you cut it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Could be Bee. I know I found 3 nest in my hay fields last spring. One next had 14 eggs one had 11 one had 10. I mowed way around them and kept watch. Once the Eggs hatched wanted to mow those spots. The nest that had 14 all hatched. I even counted the chicks. The one that had 11 10 was hatched one wasn't. The one that had 10 8 hatched. But in the fall hunting with my Bow. I would see Hen with 5 chicks one with 7 one with 6. Then in the winter on my cameras didn't see as many. Maybe 9 total hens on cameras. And only 6 toms on camera. But in years past would see twice that many fall and winter.

9. Sure I didn't ruffle any feathers. Sure must have ruffled the cap lock on the keyboard though. I really meant my comments in general to the topic. I could only read about turkey hunting back in the 60's and 70's. But if I did have some 50 years of turkey hunting I still would feel the same.

10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Trust me birdman you didn't ruffle my feathers. I don't kill Jakes either but wont knock anybody that does. And don't want to see changes in the law to protect them like you suggested. If you want to save Turkey cut out killing Hens all together. They are the egg layers not Jakes. I got over 50 years of Turkey hunting in. Don't mind if Jakes get killed. But everybody has their own ways. Lets not make Turkey hunting into TROPHY BUCK HUNTING.
    Went over to farm this morning to put roll bales out. Had 6 jakes in the field. 2 Toms in the Cow pasture. Called my son told him I see 8 you can hunt opening day. But take grandson on youth if you can youth days see if he can bag one.
    My son will shoot a Jake. He don't get to hunt a lot due to work. If he does I will pat him on the back and say YOU GOT ONE MORE TAG LEFT GO GET ANOTHER ONE. When do we eat!!!!!!

11. Okay..Your 50 years of turkey hunting trumps my measly 27 years, so your right. Good luck this season. Hope your son gets the opportunities to take a couple of birds.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Not trying to make a RIGHT or WRONG issue here. Not what I'm doing. I probably wont be hunting them. Havent least 4 years. Let Sons and grandkids hunt the farm. I been going to Kentucky Lake last 4 years enjoying catching Crappie for a month. I still enjoy a Turkey hunt but done so much of it I go Crappie now. But as long as Sons and grandkids get one IM OK that way. I know I will get to eat some of it.
    Sorry if you think I was trying to make a issue out of it. But killing Jakes don't hurt a thing. I killed several thru the years. But quit started trying to fool mature Birds. GOOD LUCK TO YOU TO THIS SEASON. Post up a picture.