Making an axe handle

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by barney, May 4, 2017.

1. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Nice post. Very cool. Thanks for sharing

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If those sell like that,Barney you should have a small fortune ,old vintage heads ,with air dried select hickory, hand hewn handles

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I got bored with all the nasty, cold weather we've been having around here so I thought I'd hang an axe.

I've had these Flint Edge heads laying around for awhile.
    [​IMG]
    A Link handle I picked up at an auction last summer. It was almost as thick as a mattock handle, but had a really small swell. I originally intended to hang a Pulaski axe I had on it, but oh well, I thinned it WAY down, and left the scrapped finish instead of doing any sanding.
    [​IMG]
    Used a wire wheel to remove the paint remnants, and rust. The head cleaned up really nice.
    [​IMG]
    I had to slide the head way down on the shoulder of that handle to get the bottom of the eye completely sealed off. The sassafras wedge has been fit to the eye, and marked as to kerf depth, and ready to drive.
    [​IMG]
    I cut the excess tongue and wedge off yesterday, and recessed the wedge this afternoon. I also applied, and let it soak up some BLO turpentine mixture whilstsitting there in the vice.
    [​IMG]
    All finished, and as good as new!
    [​IMG]

bondhu and Feedman like this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Is flint edge a trademark name Barney,looks good by the way

barney likes this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!
    And yes, "Flint Edge" was a brand name for a line of axes from Kelly Axe & tool Co. prior to 1930.

In 1930, The American Fork & Hoe Company completely bought the Kelly Axe & Tool Co out lock stock and barrel including facilities, and all of the brand names associated with Kelly Axe, including brands from other companies that Kelly bought out prior. Then, around 1949 the American Fork & Hoe Co. reincorporated under the name True Temper.

Over the years, the True Temper Co. used several of the Kelly brand names in their product lines, "Flint Edge", and "Kelly Perfect" being some of the most popular brands in their line of axes.

The axe I just hung, has 6 ridges inside the eye. True Temper was granted a patent in 1963 for eye ridges, and the original patent called for 6 ridges. In later years the number of ridges diminished to 5, and then 4 by the 70's. I would date my axe to the mid 60's because of those 6 ridges.

aaronc and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Very interesting info Barney..., I wasn't aware of the rings. I've done several refinishes and have quite a few heads around,...I like'em. For some reason I wasn't able to see any of your pics,...might be my set-up and or the photobucket crash. We may have to start us a vintage axe/hatchet thread around here ??....

barney likes this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Photobucket wrecked a bunch of old threads across the net, and now the Postimage pics I have started to use are disappearing.
    There is a wealth of information on old tools, and axes here:
    http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Home.html

10. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yep,..been there. Excellent site. Not sure if you have this book but its a great read. Looks like it may be out of print again though. I got mine a few years back for 25$,..they seem to be bring more than that now.

Attached Files:

11. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I watched your vid,...Sagers are my fav.

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't have the book, but for sure owning a copy qualifies you a bonafide axe junkie!

I did this belt sheath for one of my Tommy Axes this morning while it was raining.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]uploading images

13. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Excellent work ! You got good skills man,..looks like copper hardware and veg tan????

Heres a couple refinishes

barney likes this.
  14. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Hatchets

Attached Files:

15. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield