Making an axe handle

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by barney, May 4, 2017.

1. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    ,....hand plane. Any old tool I can find with some curl in the wood that is pretty rough,....I just like to refinish it. I got one scratch build going,....an axe handle in tiger maple. Got it roughed out,...for show only of course,.wouldn't use it. May get it done this summer if time allows.

Attached Files:

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The handles, and plane look great, Aaron, and the heads are are in great shape too!

Dark Cloud and aaronc like this.
  3. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Alright barney...I had a couple of pieces I picked up through the winter that I got out today to play with. I do most of my refinishes in the summer under the shade trees :).
    One is a broad hatchet with a small solid handle on it. No markings that I've seen on the head and handle is small but solid. I'm not really into the use of most of my axe projects but this one is super well balanced,.....somebody had a real swinger. It's not super figured but has some curl in it so I think it should come out nice. I got it sanded today down to 2000 grit,..next session will be the first coat of stain.

2nd one is a SAGER Warren Axe and Tool Warren PA...I'm a little sketchy on the date. Browsed through the yesteryear site real quick but as you know the details of the companies and labels are extensive,..I'll look up the details later....but it is a Sager. At one time or another it seemed everybody was a partner at one time or another......on to the axe.

Shes a nice double bit,..could have been hung a little further up the handle but I'm sure it did its job. The badA$$ part for me is this handle! It's vintage and Brotha there aint a Da#$@! fiddle nowhere in Kaintuck got more curl in it than this thing. It has more in it than anything I've done so far and it's on a Sager! Plenty of that open grain is visible also so I'm 95% sure this one is hickory.
    All I got done today was initial once over with some 120 grit. It had some sort of red varnish or paint on it plus toward the axe head the handle was darkened from something. A lot of both the red and black was soaked in the wood so I'll be spending some more time with the 120 to try to get to some good clean wood before initial staining. Gonna take a little extra elbow grease but I'll figure it out. This one is my prize.

Attached Files:

barney likes this.
  4. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Sager,...

Attached Files:

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Those are nice projects, AAaron. Thanks for sharing!

6. aaronc

aaronc 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Broad hatchet refinished,...

Attached Files: