Mammoth Cave

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Double B, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Double B

Double B 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Gonna head down to do some camping, fishing at Mammoth Cave NP on the Green river. Anybody got any advice? I heard you don't have to have a Ky license to fish since it's a Natl park? Gonna float/camp along the river.....any advice about put in and take out points, camping, fishing etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004
    Don't go today!:eek: Honestly you need to make sure you check the flow out first,talked to a guy and some kids the other day that had planned on camping but instead made the trip from Munfordville to Green River ferry in 7hrs.

3. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

7 HRS???:eek: She must be up a little huh? It takes us almost 2 day to make that trip

4. Double B

Double B 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. Yeh, I just checked the stream flow and it is rolling, 4,720 fps where the 80th percentile is 2740! Thinking about next weekend anyway, so hope it gets right by then.

5. knappy

knappy 6 pointer

Feb 22, 2009
    florence kentucky
    is it usually any good bass fishing??

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    That's not true. In all the national parks I'm aware of, you need a license of the state the park is located in. Also, that states regulations are in effect.

elkwhisperer likes this.
  7. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Fishing license is not required to fish on Mammoth Cave Park property.

8. Ky'sFinest

Ky'sFinest 10 pointer

correct..........................

9. Ky'sFinest

Ky'sFinest 10 pointer

went on the 27th in canoes from green ferry to houchins. good trip that took all day. wanted to camp on river but the only spots to camp people were already there. the rest were all steep banks with over growth on top. water was higher than normal covering rock and gravel bars.

the only spots were at the islands. crump island would have been the idela place imo but stice and sand cave are good also. at houchins ferry there is a remote campground that is $12 on the honor system.

check out this pick (i think this was at or before boardcut island. had a pond inside that is approx 10 ft deep and cold like swimming inside a cooler:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

We are heading that way soon for a Mundfordville to Dennisons ferry trip in a few weeks. It has been 4 years since i have been on that stretch of the river. It is awesome. Thier is a cave about half way that you can go back in prolly 60 yards if the water is right. It opens up into a small room in the back of it. I'll try to take a camera this time and get some pic. GREEN RIVER IS AWESOME!

11. Double B

Double B 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks guys, really lookin forward to the trip.

12. Ky'sFinest

Ky'sFinest 10 pointer

may want to check but i was told by the park that there is no overnght parking at dennisons anymore.

good luck.

13. jonboy

jonboy Fawn

Nov 22, 2007
    south central ky

It is cool but is illegal to enter!

14. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]