Mammoth Cave

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Double B, Jun 27, 2009.

1. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

So if a feller puts in at Mundfordville can I still take out at the ferry?

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    20170222_153657_resized.jpg 20170222_153645_resized.jpg At green river ferry you can, "legally."

Houchins ferry access is closed.

It isn't as bad there as they let on. You don't want to try to trailer a boat in there though. Looks to have dropped about 8' from "normal" level.

3. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

thx, I have not ever been more than a few hundred yards past Green river ferry anyway. I am anxious to get back on the water, its been a few too many years since i have made that trip.

4. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    Looks like a good year for kayaking now that there will be less boat traffic on this section of the river. Mile 182 is next to an Island just below Turn Hole Bend, there must be a log jam at the Island.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Thats one thing I'm hoping for. I was a little disappointed on my first trip to paddle down the river and come up on "party island" where all sorts of motorboats were beached, music blaring, and the sound of more boats on their way up the river.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    If you are thinking parties, music and noise are solely the product of having a motor on your boat you have not got in behind a group dropped off by the canoe outfit that runs up there.

I have kayaked through everyday normal drunks, groups of college kids who didn't know which end of the paddle to use and even a bachelorette party. They are all pretty oblivious to you and you just slip through in a kayak.

On a summer weekend there are not enough gravel bars to put everybody on to camp.

I think some people get this idea that because it is flowing through a national park it is somehow extra wild or pristine. There are several towns up above the park that I am sure get their water from and release their water back into the river. Untold numbers of cow pastures it runs through. Tires, coolers, old cars. All kinds of fun stuff in the river. Rivers that size are more akin to a sewer pipe in terms of how the function on the land.

That being said I love being out there. The fall is the best time in my opinion. When it is cool enough to keep the party people off the river you can have the place to yourself.

Going down Nolin is the best float in my opinion.

7. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
  8. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Did they add anything at Houchins to make it easier to launch?

9. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    Not sure, I haven't been down there for a few weeks. Almost packed and ready for 2 weeks in the deep woods, just waiting for the river to go down a bit. Gonna put in at Dennison ferry and paddle up to Lucky island to spend a few days among the old growth trees in the park. :)

10. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Not yet, but there are plans to.
    Also, at the Green River Ferry, they have started enlarging the parking area and are adding a launch and take out spot and a new bathroom/changing area. Don't expect it to happen soon though.

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Glad to hear they have the money to do it though. Budget constraints were the tune being sung for a long time.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    So with typical current, how long do you think the run from Dennison to Houchins will be now?

Think any new islands will form? Or getting out of the bank will improve over time?

13. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I have no idea, never done it before. There should be moving water all the way now though and that should speed it up some.

The banks should improve, that makes sense.