Mammoth Cave

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Double B, Jun 27, 2009.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    The banks are sketchy at Dennison and across from Dennisons where white oak trail drops down to the river. Those are areas well up form the influence #6

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I read on a FB group posting that the river regs have changed in the park now. Said that life vests had to be worn at all times and no flood plain camping (i.e. on the islands) past Turnhole Bend. Anyone else know anything about that?

3. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Whose land is this national park anyway? More regulations to impede your use of it.

Current, logs and rocks are always going to be a hazard. Like I said back in post 1156, the banks are steep mud at Denison's Ferry, well above the influence of #6. Taking out that dam is not/was not/will not change the character of the banks appreciably. You will expose more gravel bars within the park but the area where the actual woods meets the normal floodplain is still going to be steep, rooty and muddy. You aren't going to change that river into a placid creek. It drains too much area and in particular too much area between GRL dam and the park to have significant control on flooding. They wanted a more wild river, they are getting it.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Anyone got any pics of the stretch with the water down now?

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Word of advice if you plan to use the park, make sure you know whether the ferry is operating or not and also kind of how the river level is trending.

Two examples, the ferry has been closed for high water earlier in the summer and then maybe a week later the level had dropped to the point they were not allowing but a single vehicle at a time and no rv's or trailers across.

Week before last a friend of mine went across to the north side in the afternoon, camped and kayaked, but then was not able to go back across the ferry the next day due to water levels. They had to make the loop all the way out towards nolin tailwater and back to Brownsville.

Currently the ferry is not operating due to low water.