Mammoth Cave

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Double B, Jun 27, 2009.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    The banks are sketchy at Dennison and across from Dennisons where white oak trail drops down to the river. Those are areas well up form the influence #6

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I read on a FB group posting that the river regs have changed in the park now. Said that life vests had to be worn at all times and no flood plain camping (i.e. on the islands) past Turnhole Bend. Anyone else know anything about that?

3. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Whose land is this national park anyway? More regulations to impede your use of it.

Current, logs and rocks are always going to be a hazard. Like I said back in post 1156, the banks are steep mud at Denison's Ferry, well above the influence of #6. Taking out that dam is not/was not/will not change the character of the banks appreciably. You will expose more gravel bars within the park but the area where the actual woods meets the normal floodplain is still going to be steep, rooty and muddy. You aren't going to change that river into a placid creek. It drains too much area and in particular too much area between GRL dam and the park to have significant control on flooding. They wanted a more wild river, they are getting it.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Anyone got any pics of the stretch with the water down now?