McCreary county hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by snakebite, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

1. snakebite

snakebite Fawn

Thursday
    mccreary county
    New down here,and was spoiled by the Ohio deer herd. Hunted se ohio most my life and terrain is similar in a way but more deer. My question is if I went deeper into the woods are there pockets of deer less pressured or is the whole herd in this area just that low, have read and heard CWD, just looking for some insight or local opinion thanks

2. Arrow Slinger

Arrow Slinger 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2006
    Whitley City,KY
    The herd here in McCreary is really down right now. Ehd last year and years past put a hurting on them. Add in the deer have to compete with a booming bear population for food,I don't know if it will get any better anytime soon.

3. snakebite

snakebite Fawn

Thursday
    mccreary county
    You aint lying I have 5 or 6 different ones right behind the house cool at first but now they are a pain

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I think it's going to be a tough season for McCreary/Whitley area. Hopefully the deer breeding goes well and there's some sort of bear EHD that hits hard.

5. Arrow Slinger

Arrow Slinger 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2006
    Whitley City,KY
    Bear ehd would be awesome!

BubEastKY and elkaholic like this.
  6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    It sounds like they need to allow a lot more bears to be taken and make bear season longer.

Arrow Slinger likes this.
  7. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    I'm from McCreary, I assure you, you'll be highly disappointed with the deer population here. It's very discouraging. Good luck either way.

8. snakebite

snakebite Fawn

Thursday
    mccreary county
    Do you guys still hunt locally or did you give up? I see a trip up north in my future

9. snakebite

snakebite Fawn

Thursday
    mccreary county
    How was the population before EHD. CWD and the growing bear population?

10. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    Population has been weak even prior to the EHD. You'll still hear some wall hangers killed every now and then. I typically hunt Pulaski and Clinton for the majority. The WMA here isn't anything to talk about either. It needs shut down for years. You find out quick, I know pretty much every one in McCreary LEAVE the Cty during rut to go where they can just see a deer

11. snakebite

snakebite Fawn

Thursday
    mccreary county
    That sucks. considering all the land that is available to hunt

12. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    True.

13. Shaine is right. Love hunting down there but very frustrating. But every now and then you may come across a big one

Shaine1985 likes this.
  14. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I heard somewhere a few years ago that just to the south is where Tennessee releases all of their problem bears that they have to relocate.

Shaine1985 likes this.
  15. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    I'm 15 minutes from TN line and I have a momma and 3 cubs and a single bear here. Nothing but a nuisance

Arrow Slinger and elkaholic like this.