More bad news for dairy farmers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by baknblack, Mar 9, 2018.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Wal-Mart sells milk for 99 cents a gallon. They got to be losing money on the milk just to get you in there and buy other crap you don't need.
    I buy Milk and feed my Cats with it.....cheaper than Cat food.

2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    You can get milk for 78 cents a gallon at Aldi. A dozen eggs for 48 cents.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Isn’t the retailer the one losing money there? Aren’t they giving discounted goods to get you in the door? Don’t all retailers do this?

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Marketing at it's finest. How many people go into a Wal Mart of Aldi and only walk out with a gallon of milk. Kinda like selling you a gun cheap and then selling you ammo to go with it at a inflated price.

DH13 likes this.
  5. Yes they’re called loss leaders and milk is a prime example.

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've had family personally affected by this, and had to convert to beef cattle, after selling their herd and equipment to a large commercial dairy. I know it sucks for the people involved, and affects a lot of people. I also hate Wal Mart with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

That being said, the world isn't fair. What's happening is capitalism, pure and simple. At one time, those large commercial dairys, and even Wal Mart itself were nothing more than little guy companies who happened to come up with a way to adapt, grow, and outcompete their competition. We could argue for days on the morality of how they accomplished it, but as long as no laws were broken, that's just the way the world works.

Funny though, after Wal Mary stated they wouldn't sell guns to people under 21, I didn't see many people stating they wouldn't shop there anymore, like they did for Dicks.

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP CAPITALISM. That's what my Sons father in law and his brother talking about. Selling out going all Beef Cattle. BUT WATCH when this happens if the Beef Cattle prices drop to. Slowly but surely CAPITALISM will drive the small farmer out.
    I don't shop WalMart unless I am forced to. If I can find what I want some where else. Even if I have to pay more for it. I buy it there not WalMart.

baknblack likes this.
  8. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    They won't make it in beef cattle alone unless they have a lot of acreage. There's some money in straw and horse hay if you have the equipment to get it off the ground with 0 labor other than your own. And, believe it or not not the sales I go to the damn goats do better than you'd think. Diversity is the only way a small outfit has a hope of making it.

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    486 acs is what they have. They do Tobacco and sell hay and straw. They aren't small. I tried Goats once. Milk Goats and Boar Not worth the hassle.

10. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    People are actually eating the damn things. Foreigners I guess. The last sale I was at they were doing well. The young ones.
    sounds like they have enough going for them they'll be ok. They'll probably be wondering why they waited so long to quit milking.
    If you get a chance check out a channel on YouTube called northtexashay. A man and his wife have the slickest 2 person square bale operation I've ever seen.

DH13 likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m thinking the goat consumers are our beloved middle eastern brethren :rolleyes::confused:

drakeshooter and baknblack like this.
  12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Shoot when I had Boar Goats sold them more to Mexicans coming into the farm than to a Market.

13. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Walmart has a history of squeezing its producers for every penny. Similar to Amazon and other Big Box stores. They put the little local guys out of business pretty quick. Farmers need to stay viable and pertinent. CSA Community Supported Agriculture is one way to do that. Selling shares in your farm products to people that pay up front for a future share of your harvest. Indiana has done that with milk and goats. You buy a Goat or cow share and go pick up milk, cheese, yogurt whatever it is. OR selling at markets or Field to Fork, Farm to Table whatever you prefer. Start making cheese or grazing your stock differently to set yourself apart, carve out a niche. Kentucky's Cottage Food Industry is just starting to find its feet. Somehow we need to differentiate ourselves. All of that being said...many parts of KY are to rural or cant afford to stop shopping at Walmart. I have only had Goat twice and it was delicious(roasted Pig style) I love goat milk ( from some goats ) and really love goat cheeses. Its the thinking like baknblack or EdLongshanks that makes things impossible for local farmers to switch things up. There are too many minds they need to change before they sell something new. Not saying thats bad and not all peoples tastes are alike. But if I can support a local guy I will buy a goat or whatever else. It tastes better than Beaver and Racoon I can tell you that. I am not sure what the answer is...its not just one thing thats for sure. I am searching too I want to grow something on my land that I can be proud of and pay a couple of bills or the satisfaction of someone eating my food. There are hospitals here in Indy that are only buying foods sourced within the boarders of the state or within 300 miles. I have a local Farm to Table and neighborhood creamery down the road. They sell to local grocers- Traders Point Creamery. The answer is out there somewhere.

DH13 likes this.
  14. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I never said I wouldn't eat a goat, lol. Can't be much different than a deer. Now making it a staple I doubt it. My saying a damn goat just comes from being around them. They're a PITA! The market is already there for meat goats. I've seen it at the stock yard. I'd love to see a farmer making money with goats.
    I would love see something happen in KY that would encourage farmers to get together and talk plus seeing grocery stores and restaurants getting more of there stuff locally. I'm just a part time beef cattle guy who plans to retire from my day job soon. I'd gladly grow some produce if I had somewhere to sell it. For small guys it's more of a logistical problem. It's hard to say grow a ton of tomatoes and find a place that will take em all at once.
    The more food grown locally the more secure we all are.

DH13 likes this.
  15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP I have ate Goat it isn't bad. But I will stick with my Cows. I grow a acre garden every year. Can most of it.

bondhu and EdLongshanks like this.