More bad news for dairy farmers

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by baknblack, Mar 9, 2018.

1. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    There is a guy named Bland Baird on Facebook trying to organize the impacted dairies. They're talking about trying to get a grant to buy the dean plant in Louisville and form a co-op. You might mention it to your relatives.

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    OK THANKS I will let them know. co-ops are all over Canada.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hold on, what did I say that “makes things impossible for local farmers to switch things up?” The link I provided perfectly illustrates exactly what you are describing. Eddie Gibson is not only a phenomenal farmer, he’s also a really smart business man. He saw the writing on the wall and adapted his business/farm to market his goods. Isn’t that how things are supposed to work?

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Oh, were you talking about eating goat? Yeah no thanks on the goat. I like cow. It tastes waaaay better

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I told my Son. He told his father in law. His father in law knows Bland and is going to get in touch with him. My Sons FIL is from Spencer county. THANKS

baknblack likes this.
  6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. They need to adapt the other poster mentioned another farm switching to hay and beef. They need to stay ahead of the curve. EAT MORE GOAT!!!

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

Not picking on you guys. Its a mind set that a lot of us have. My point being it makes growing/selling new things more difficult. The US doesn't eat horse meat. Canada you get horse meat. Europe you get horse. In Peru they eat Guinea Pig. There is radio commercial that plays up here touting Goat meat. I like cow the best too and pig. My wife hates trying different stuff its an uphill battle. Growing it is the easy ( if thats possible ) part! Selling is the trick.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  8. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Tell em if they need someone to help start the plant after they buy it I love a challenge, lol.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Not disagreeing but his wife is also a dentist. So they have outside income that a lot of farmers don't have

drakeshooter and baknblack like this.
  10. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I know several farmers with outside income sources. Wives for extra cash and insurance is a big one. Some are invested in or running other side business. It's a whole different world than it was. Yeah, they make money farming but, it wouldn't be sustainable without other sources of money.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Starvation will make a Monkey eat a HOT PEPPER TO!!!!!

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    What about the dairy compacts--are they still a thing? And isn't DFA a co-op?

For what it's worth, I started my career working in dairy plants. It's been a few years though, so I'm not sure what has changed.

13. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Those things you mentioned I'm not familiar with. Must be on the processing side. As far as I know the actual people milking cows in KY are all independent. I could be wrong.

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    From what I remember, DFA (Dairy Farmers of America) was the co-op that actually purchased the milk from the farmers. They then sold it to the plants. The compact is what set the minimum price of the raw milk. I never did fully understand how it worked, but it wasn't based on market forces. It was basically gov't approved price fixing.

There was also the spring flush that lead to a glut of milk supply.

But I can't imagine that things have changed that much though. I can't see Farmer John driving his 90 lbs of milk up to a milk plant. I know that while the local, grass fed milk tasted better, it always came in on one of the short haulers with milk from about 10 stops on the route. The milk from the big farms up in northern Indiana were always full tankers and we'd get sometimes 3 a day from one farm.

15. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Same sex semen has hurt the industry as well.