Morel Time

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by model70, Jan 19, 2017.

1. model70

model70 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    What's the earliest some of you have found any morels? With the weather we've been having in western ky, do you think it's to early? Thanks

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    Its too early. By 2 months AT LEAST

3. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Haha! it's a nice thought with these warm temps, but not a realistic one. I agree with him ^^

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Way to early. I found a few blacks on 3/16 last year and that was the earliest I have ever found morels.

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    When you see the Popular trees start to leaf out then you will start to find them.

nock likes this.
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I believe I've read that the soil temperature must be around 56 to 58 degrees for morels. The Ky mesonet has it right now on average at 45 degrees. We have to have longer days with more sun to reach the temps needed. Like everyone else though, counting the days. I'm at about 60 days out from starting to look.

7. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Wish I could eat them but they make me sicker than a dog.

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Soil temps are slowly increasing but should make a jump over the next week. Just saw the Weather Channel's extended temperature predictions and they are calling for warmer than normal temps for March-May. My granddaughter and I picked a couple dozen daffodils last Sunday which is the earliest I can ever remember seeing them bloom. For those of you that pick the blacks, I wouldn't wait until the end of March to start looking. Everything is pointing toward an early morel arrival and I plan on starting @ March 15th. I found a couple on March 16th last year.

Capttrae likes this.
  9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm going to look when I get home found some several years ago in March

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    My earliest I believe was about March 20. The weatherman says we are 3 weeks ahead of schedule. I don't really think morels will come 3 weeks earlier than normal but a bit earlier than normal is fine.

11. Munson

Munson 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Just seen on the book of faces someone found a small one in Missouri ... there was a dated newspaper in the pic so it might be legit,idk. I never find any till April but this is some warm temps for sure.

Capttrae likes this.
  12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Saw that online. I'm gettin excited now. Pretty Brunette in Fl my first few days off, hopefully shrooms and sheds while I'm home, then Turkeys and crappies in Al when I'm with my son. This could be a really great time off in 14 days

13. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Really. I have found them before in jan. An thats a fact. I dont care who believes me. But trust me some of the morels will be coming up within a few weeks if this weather keeps on. Soil temps in my yard is already 51 3inches down. I found them last year 2nd week of march. An didnt find another one after 2nd wk of april. Found a couple of hundred total like always.
    My point is for you guys that dont start looking till april or later maybe you should start a little sooner. More so for those living in the southern part of the state.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    muddhunter likes this.
  14. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Yep this is the best time of year in my book. Everything seems to be happening early this year and boy i sure dont mind it.

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Peach and cherry trees getting ready to bust out,things are gonna get killed,winter's not over