Morels 2019

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by hollandhunter, Mar 8, 2019.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Wanted to start a thread on dry land fish this year. I dont think it will be to much longer before we start finding some. Wish we had a little more snow this winter but im over it and ready for spring. Facebook reminded me this morning that i found 84 on this day in 2017. Was march 23 last year when i found the first mess. I plan on going and looking toward the end of next week after some of this milder weather comes through this week and weekend.
    If anyone finds any this spring please share pics!

2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Haha few inches of snow here HH. Moist ground shouldn't be an issue. No doubt you'll be finding em a couple weeks before the rest of us:eek:like always lol
    Goodluck

hotdog and hollandhunter like this.
  3. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Hopefully it won't be too much longer to start looking. My logs (records) for the past 6 years show my 1st find of the season as 3/24/13, 4/5/14, 4/3/15, 3/16/16, 3/3/17 and 3/30/2018. So the start of the season has varied by as much as a month during the past 6 years. Right now soil temps are below normal but there definitely isn't any shortage of moisture. This coming Saturday shows a forecast for 60 degree rain then again on Wednesday and Thursday with 65-70 degree rains. If we get those 2 warm rains, we should see ground temps near or at the temps that can pop morels and I don't think I will be able to resist the urge to check next weekend if those rains come!

hollandhunter likes this.
  4. 12 ga.

12 ga. Spike

Oct 24, 2003
    Frenchburg,Ky.
  5. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Yesterday’s rain really raised the soil temps. From Hardin county south to the state line the temps have risen 15-20 degrees to @ 50-55 in the past week. From Hardin county north to the Ohio River they have risen 10-15 degrees to 45-50. It won’t be long to see blacks popping if we see another warm rain and one is forecasted for Wednesday/Thursday.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’m waiting.....

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Ok now I get it.. I kept hearing dry land fish and thought WTH, now I know..

8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Went this afternoon after work and looked a little. Didnt find any but man they gotta be up just about any day now at this spot i go to early. Soil temps are there. Just a matter of days now. I would venture to guess by weekend i will have a small mess

9. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    I love the way they taste but I can’t eat them, My belly don’t like them

10. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I hope that never happens to me but I've seen a case where ppl went from one year eating all they want to the next year eating a handful and puking all night. I don't understand it but it was the blacks that did (no pun intended :D) it. He declined when I offered him whites/yellows.

childersb24 likes this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    In Robertson Co I don’t find them till mid April you guys get an early season compared to me.

12. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Yeah my brother had that happen to him. Ate them for years and then one year they made him sick as a dog. Not sure what causes it

13. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

This pic gives you an idea of what to look for to keep from eating a bad "morel". The one on the left is Verpa Bohemica, also sometimes referred to as a early false morel. As you can see, it is very similar to the 2nd morel, sometimes referred to as a half free or pecker head. The Verpa is not hollow all the way to the tip and also has what appears to be a fibrous material inside the stem. Some people react badly to the Verpas getting very sick after eating them. I don't eat them. It's not worth taking the chance. I do eat the half frees. The 3rd shroom is a black morel and the 4th is a white/grey morel and are the most common morels that can be eaten safely. That being said, my granddaughter went on an all she could eat crab legs and fried yellow/grey morels binge for her birthday 2 years ago and experienced an upset stomach. She has eaten them for 4 years prior to this and had never had a problem. My word of caution would be don't eat Verpas, don't over indulge on morels in a single meal (especially your 1st time to eat them) and don't mix alcohol and half frees.

Bee, bowhunter269, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  14. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Good info. Im curious about mixing alcohol & peckerheads tho? No pun intended for your dirty minds :D

15. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

True for any foraged mushroom. I have eaten all of them without a problem. If you are feeding to guests I would separate them and tell them if they had never eaten them before. Alcohol Caps are a different story. Never mix those with you alcohol. Also some mushrooms will pick up compounds from the substrate the grow on Hemlock and Pine for instance. Good info. OH and never never never eat raw foraged mushrooms.