Mountain Lion/Cougar sighting in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, May 14, 2018.

1. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    You might get shot! Some of them might be packing!

EC likes this.
  2. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    A real dog would rather be eaten by a coyote than be seen in that outfit!! :^)

muddhunter, Dark Cloud, Carl and 3 others like this.
  3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    dont look like no house cat i ever seen. my sister had 42 of those house cats, even though most were outside, none looked like that profile, or smelled like her house..

4. 00noturkey

00noturkey 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    a good hoax, is a good hoax LOL

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I haven't heard of any updates from the neighborhood "alert" system. Which MAY mean it turned out to be nothing--surprise.

I still wanna do the "gorilla" suit thing, but JR Porter makes a good point about getting shot. We do have some "good ol' boys" around here scattered among the snowflakes.

As a side note, I told my dad about the "sighting" and he told me they used to have panthers running around when he was a kid (around southern Hardin, northern Hart counties). He said he was out squirrel hunting one time when he was about nine and had his German Shepard with him. The dog wandered off several yards from him and something jumped out of a tree and beat him up. He couldn't get to him in time, but the dog ran off squalling.

He also said those panthers would squaw out in the middle of the night and that it sounded like a screaming woman. He said it would scare the piss out of ya.

I told him I still thought it was a over-grown house cat in the neighborhood but would let him know.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

The only critter I ever heard squaw out in the middle of the night that sounded like a screaming woman was a fox.

7. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    yes she was,have mercy:)

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    You might be right. Come to think of it, I don't remember if I've ever heard a fox "scream". We have plenty of red foxes in the neighborhood too.

There must have been some crazy stuff wandering around Hardin and Hart counties back in the 30s and 40s.

I know I've never heard a 'painter'.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Somebody put that thing out of its misery! That’s horrendous.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Daughter who worked at Job Corp had some kids come running into dorm all excited. They had heard a woman screaming in the nearby woods. She had to bring up the sound of a fox on her phone to show them. Fast forward ..just a couple nights ago Sister calls and said she heard something screaming outside her house, when I ask had she seen any fox around he answer was yes, there is a den not far away and one young one got hit on the highway about two weeks ago.

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    That Mtn. Lion sure doesn't sound like the ones Hollywood has in movies and TV shows.

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    If you hear one you'll remember it.

Especially if your a mile deep in the pitch black woods waiting for dawn, and one screams 30 yards behind you. Ask me how I know.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Was there running water near?

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Well...it made the local tv news--on two stations. LOL

=================================

[​IMG]
    LOCAL

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife investigating large feline sighting
    The reports the department is investigating came from the Anchorage area of Jefferson County, Ky.

Author: WHAS
    Published: 4:13 PM EDT May 16, 2018
    Updated: 6:18 PM EDT May 16, 2018
    FRANKFORT, Ky. (WHAS1) — Officials with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources are asking people to be alert after receiving two credible but unconfirmed sightings of a mountain lion or other large feline.

The reports came from the Anchorage area of Jefferson County last week.

Two Louisville Metro animal control officers reported seeing what they thought might be a mountain lion or unusually large cat, and a homeowner snapped a photo of the animal. Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officials responded quickly to the reports.

Conservation officers and wildlife biologists found no tracks or other evidence at the site to support the reports. However, they considered those reports credible and interviewed area residents as well as the two officers making the initial report.

A homeowner snapped a distant photo of the animal that is in question. The photo was taken from an elevated deck. The image is blurred but biologists were able to estimate measurements based on surrounding plant life. Their analysis found the animal pictured in the photo is significantly smaller than a mountain lion but larger than a typical housecat.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife is continuing to monitor the reports. Trail cameras were put in place in an attempt to clearly identify the animal. Anyone spotting an animal fitting the description above should not approach it but call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife at 1-800-858-1549. In case of an emergency, please call 911.
    ==============================

SPOTTED: Ky. officials warn of 'credible' sightings of 'large feline' in Jefferson Co.
    Posted: May 16, 2018 4:45 PM EDT Updated: May 16, 2018 4:51 PM EDT [​IMG] Image Source: The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is asking the public to be on the lookout after it received two "credible but unconfirmed" sightings of "a mountain lion or other large feline," according to a news release.

Officials say the sightings took place in the Anchorage area of Jefferson County last week.

"Two Louisville Metro animal control officers reported seeing what they thought might be a mountain lion or unusually large cat, and a homeowner snapped a photo of the animal," the news release states.

The image is included with this story.

"While the image was blurred and the animal was not clearly identifiable, biologists were able to estimate measurements based on surrounding plant life," the news release states, adding that, "their analysis concluded that the animal pictured in the photo is significantly smaller than a mountain lion but larger than a typical housecat."

Conservation officers and wildlife biologists investigated, but were unable to find tracks or any other additional evidence corroborating the claims, or what is seen in the image, but they still consider the reports "credible," according to the news release. As a result, the Department of Fish and Wildlife has erected trail cameras to monitor the area in an effort to definitively identify the animal. Anyone spotting an animal fitting the description above should stay away from it, and call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife at 1-800-858-1549.

As always, in the event of an emergency, they should call 911.
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/38207437/...ble-sightings-of-large-feline-in-jefferson-co

15. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It was 15 years ago at least. I can't remember if that particular spot was near an old well in the area or not, but I'm certain there was some water at the bottom of the ridge I was sitting on.

Why?