Muzzleloader bullets

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cress2727, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cress2727

Cress2727 Fawn

Nov 8, 2016
    Looks like a lot of money and a lot of shooting to figure out what shoots best. But like you said just because it shoots good doesn't necessarily mean the bullets going to do its part

2. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    Yes but without the dog it wouldn't have been found

3. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Cost of a place to hunt. Cost of food plots and corn. Cost of all the other odds and ends you have for hunting. What's another $100 to $200 to find out what works best? A good tracking dog for that deer of a lifetime will run you about 300 or more but do you really want to take that chance. Watched a guy 3 years ago lose a 180 inch buck to a cheap power belt bullet because that's what the rave was. Deer was shot good but went 800 yards into a river because the bullet did nothing upon entry. Folks I have tracked and recovered 172 deer with my dog. I have seen how tough these animals are and what they can go through after the shot. How's a 4.8 mile lung shot track with a 270 make you feel. Or 2 deer we tracked that were still alive 5 days after the shot. Like I said I have plenty of horror stories on what works and what doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good shot, no blood? Double lung, or heart shot?

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I gotta call BS. There is no deer in the world that is going to go 800 yards with a double lung shot, regardless of the bullet or arrow. That's not happening. One lung hit very high, maybe.

WILD likes this.
  6. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Double lung shot with little blood.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    and 800 yards?

8. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Call bs all you want to but this wasn't a 150 pound deer either. Neither was the one that went 4.8 miles that was lung shot. It's called adrenaline and strange things can happen when it kicks in. I've also seen a dead deer walk off after the shot stop and make a scrape and die 5 feet after. If you want to see some proof maybe you should come with me on some of these tracking jobs. You would be mighty surprised at what you would see

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've tracked a few deer in my 40 years of deer hunting. Seen some amazing things as well. I shot a buck at 10 yards one day with a bow, he kicked a little and went back to grazing. Fell over with food in his mouth. I'd love to accompany you on a tracking job of a deer double lunged, with any weapon, that goes 800 yards.

10. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    Should have been on the one in Tennessee with me that went 4.8 miles then. Adrenaline can do amazing things to an animal. 1 lung shot deer can live for upwards to a week or more. Have also been on deer that the hunter swore up and down were dead the day we tracked them only to come back to life after we left and be shot or seen later. But that's a whole other story

11. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    i don't doubt your stories. i would like to hear some of them actually. You should start a thread telling some of them. Although some on here would say they were BS, i think it would be interesting and insightful.

12. allseasonhunter

Feb 2, 2010
    I usually post the recovery stories on here and on the dogs Facebook page. She has been featured on the outdoor channel 3 or 4 times to also back it up. As a year and a half old dog Joe Lacefield who goes by cssarcher on here saw her work a deer that most wouldn't have believed the recovery and this was her tv debut. I'm not one to stretch the truth on what she does as she amazes me still on what she does even though we have been tracking for her entire 6 year life. Today's was no exception. 3 day old track 2 of those rain days and no blood to follow. Maybe 30 minutes total time to recovery. Every deer we go on is something different and she works differently every time. If you have never seen a tracking dog work I suggest you do so if you can. You will learn a lot just watching them

dmullins and kyhunter110 like this.
  13. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    JD that's a great group. I shoot this same setup as JD in a Knight with no problem. Aint shot on paper for years but death on milk jugs 100-120 yards. Hawkins 50 cal is 100 grain of FFF and 2 round balls.
    As far as tracking it is N/A if you shoot at white spot on the neck.

14. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

You shoot two round balls in one shot? How does that work? Do you patch them separate or as one?

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    yep,we always called it the worthless nut load.
    2 holes in target
    We patched both