My 2013 And First Kentucky Buck (long read/pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Covert HQ, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    As most of you know in 2012 I was offered a job with DLC Covert scouting cameras the only catch being it involved me moving from WI to KY. Luckily for me I have a very understanding wife who was willing to roll the dice with me and make the move. Along with the new job came a 850 acre playground (4 separate farms). 2012 hunting season came and went and my KY buck tag remained in my pocket. It wasn't that I didn't have any opportunities I had 67 bucks ( including the buck I would harvest in 2013 ) within bow range just not the one or two that I really wanted. I knew 2013 would be a different story with what I had learned and the bucks that had survived.

It was late July when a few really good bucks started to become regulars on the cameras and a hit list was quickly taking form. 5 or 6 different bucks were on the radar. Season could not get here fast enough. The 2013 Kentucky archery season started on Sept 7 and as usual the weather was hot but with very predictable velvet bucks I had to be in a tree if I wanted to get a velvet buck that I so very badly wanted. The weekend before season I hung a Code Black (camera that will send the picture when it's taken)in a spot that I had no plans to hunt... well until 2 days before season it started sending me pictures of one of my top 5 over an hour before dark under that stand. The same thing took place the next night so I knew where I would be come opening evening.

As a rule I will not hunt mornings until the rut as I feel bumping deer does more damage then I cared to try to endure. Opening night came and I can not lie I was on the edge of my seat the whole time knowing at any minute he could walk out. While he eventually did but it was as I was lowering my bow at dark. No hunter wants to hear a stomping foot as he is getting ready to leave. While I can't say why he switched it up and showed up right at dark all I can say is he won round 1 and he was only getting started with me.

It was cat and mouse the whole first week I would hunt him when the wind was right and hunt another stand nearby when it wasn't. Of course every time I sat the stand nearby the Code Black would send me pics of him under my other stand. One night the wind was right and I did have him at 20 yards for a very painful 10 minutes without any possible shot. He was breath taking in full velvet and it broke my heart when he slipped back where he came from.

The night of Sept 16 the pictures starting coming in and sure enough he was shedding his velvet I then knew my velvet dreams would be put on hold until 2014 but he wasn't off the hook. Sept 18 the wind was right so I went in sure enough right on cue here he comes. Like they always do, he hung up at 40 yards and surveyed the situation and watched the doe and fawn under me for 5-10 minutes before committing. He quartered to me the whole way in and then I felt it . . . betrayed by the wind his nose came up and as he turned to leave I came to full draw and rushed the shot and watched it fly harmlessly under his belly at a mere 20 yards .... more heart break.

That weekend involved a little mid day stand relocation as the spot I was in was giving me fits with swirling winds. While I loved the spot and almost got it done there I liked my chances better up farther on the ridge where the wind was more predictable and it was another spot many bucks frequented on the edge of a corn field that the bucks traveled on their way to a late planted bean field. My now top 2 bucks were coming by here almost daily with the cat and mouse buck being more regular than the wide 10. I was not picky first come first served.

The evening of Sept 24 would be one I won't soon forget. It was hot and the weatherman lied to me about the wind being S SE like I needed but a front came in early and brought some rain and a E NE wind which was bad. I knew my window was closing fast as the acorns would soon drop and the pattern I was on would soon change so I rolled the dice and stayed put. I had an early visitor a small 5 point and as he wandered by directly down wind and didn't booger I thought this may work out yet.

Then it happened the skies opened up and the rain came it rained hard for about an hour a quick check of the radar on my phone showed me that I would have a window the last hour of light. I crossed my fingers and settled in. Sure enough as soon as the rain stopped the parade began 1 buck, another buck, then another, and another. There were 7 and then the 8th was the cat and mouse buck. He followed the others on the way to the bean field and as he entered my shooting lane I came to full draw. I watched the pin settle behind his shoulder and touched the trigger. I knew immediately I had made a rookie mistake shooting at a walking deer without stopping him. I watched him take another step and my green nocturnal hit him dead center in the guts and exited the hind quarter. I was instantly sick to my stomach after weeks of cat and mouse the cat had finally won and choked the shot. I sat in dismay for 30 minutes after the shot and snuck out the opposite way he went.

Even though I knew what I had to do I still called a couple friends to make sure it was the right move. A long sleepless night was ahead as the decision to wait until morning was made. I would wake up every time the rain would hit the bedroom window and knew my chances were getting slim of finding him and even if we did the coyotes would surely have him devoured. Finally morning came and we were headed in to take a look. We entered the woods and then cut out to the corn field and down to my stand. We searched for blood but none was to be found. The 3 of us then spread out to do a grid search with the creek that ran through being our main focus and I expected a gut shot deer would head for water about an hour in my phone vibrates and its my buddy (thanks Mike) wanted to congratulate me on my first Kentucky buck of course I was a bit skeptical and warned not to be messing with me LOL ! Turns out if we had not cut out to the corn field we would have tripped over him in another 35 yards. He was less than 75 yards from the truck and 75 yards from my stand in the first place he had bedded down. He was not stiff at all meaning he hadn't been dead long and thankfully as it was a low temp of 70 degrees. I was a very happy hunter he doesn't quite make 140 like I guessed him but I will take him !

A couple things I will say in closing ....

Lighted nocks (if legal) are worth their weight in gold when it comes to telling where an arrow hits in low light and finding an arrow after the shot has been taken.

I knew instantly my buck was gut shot and also knew I HAD to let him overnight while I knew it was going to rain and I also knew the coyotes were terrible in my spot I knew it was what had to be done if I wanted any chance of recovering him. I can not stress enough how important it is to wait after a bad shot.

Ok now the pics I have over 1000 but won't bore you with all of them :).......

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    2013 Growing season....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
  4. Covert HQ

Covert HQ Sponsor

Sep 2, 2012
    Logan County
    Sept 24 Game Over !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    Love the story and that is a great buck ! Congrats

6. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Staffordsville, Ky.
    First welcome to Kentucky deer hunting, great story and great buck, it can only get better. Enjoyed your great pictures and I hope to have me a new Covert by next season.

7. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Congrats on a great buck!

8. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Nice story and good pics as usual. Congrats on your buck.

9. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Great pics and congrats on a great buck.

10. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Congrats Pat! Great story and even better your first KY buck. Well done.

11. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Nice story. Pics aren't tapatalk approved so I'll wait I see them when I'm on a laptop. Welcome to KY.

I too patterned my buck through covert cameras but the killing day was via process of elimination not confirmation. Still love my code black!