My first velvet buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by skin_dog1, Sep 19, 2018.

1. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Well, basically the story starts with a case of mistaken identity. I started getting his pics about 2 weeks before the season and almost immediately recognized the shape of his rack as a deer I had pics of for 3 years prior. I set my sights on him and him alone. The week leading up to opening day he was in front of my stand every day except Tuesday evening. I dont hunt mornings in the early season so saturday evening would be my first hunt and the wind was going to be perfect. That morning he didn’t come in (had several spartan wireless cameras monitoring the area). That got me a little nervous because he’s only missed a couple mornings that week. Me and the cameraman got settled about 4, and we’re covered up in deer all evening. The sun set and he was a no show. He never visited that night or the next morning. Sun evening we went back to the same stand but I was really doubtful he’d show. At this point I was fearful someone had killed him Saturday morning. Once again him and his 2 running mates were no shows Sunday evening. My camera man had another job starting Monday evening so I considered not going at all. Then Monday morning when I woke up his running mates had visited right at daylight. Both of those deer were mature and were definitely worthy of my arrow. I climbed in the stand about 5 that evening and within minutes had a nice young buck step out. By 5 min til 6 I had 10-12 deer all around me. One doe was acting like she was gonna get down wind so I was intent on watching her. My attention was on her for about 2 minutes when I heard hooves stomping and deer scattering. I snapped my head around and he’s standing walking straight away at 15 yards. In one movement I stand, grab my bow and come to full draw. By now he’s at 19 yards broadside. When I release he lurches forward and rolls out causing my arrow to hit way back. I didn’t realize at the time but as he spun it caused the arrrow to exit way forward. Although it went in just in front of his left hip, it exited right behind the right shoulder. I just so happened to get a spartan pic as he exited the field and the blood was easily visible. I got a dog to go in anyways just in case. While he ran about 300 yards total, he doubled back and fell dead just 75 yards from where I shot him. Now the rest of the story. Theres a guy that hunts near me and we share pics back and forth. He was adamant that the deer I thought I killed had been killed last year. Then I got to going back through trail cam pics and realized he was right. Last year he was a 3yo with his entire right side broke off and after asking around I got pics of the other buck and sure nuff he was dead last December. He’s my first velvet buck, my first archery buck in Ky since longer than I care to mention, and my largest archery buck in Ky. While he’s quite a bit smaller than my best deer, I think he’s gonna take center stage on my trophy wall after I get him from the taxidermist. I’m more proud of this buck than any I’ve ever killed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 10 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Congrats on a great buck and a great story !! Thanks for sharing !!

3. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Congratulations skin_dog1!!

skin_dog1 likes this.
  4. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Great story, Congrats!

5. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Nice! Thanks for sharing a good hunt story.

6. BubEastKY

BubEastKY 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2016
    Congrats!! Great story to go with it!

7. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    Dave I’m very happy for u man. Velvet mounts are the best
    Congrats on tagging out early and sleeping in even though I know you won’t and are just like me and will head out anyways and pick up a camera.

skin_dog1 likes this.
  8. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Great story,big buck and a beautiful pic. Congrats to you

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Thanks for sharing

10. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Cool story man!! Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!! Like the spartan pic.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Monster! Congrats!

12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Awesome buck. Congrats.

13. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Congrats and great story!

14. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Great buck! Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story. It helps the rest of us join right in there with you.

15. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats on a great deer!