Need help on info about the Lake Cumberland WMA

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Oct 22, 2003.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I checked out the KYDFW website new "Topo" WMA maps on Lake Cumberland and wanted to confirm the areas on the internet were in fact ok hunt.

I called Frankfort, but they didn't have a map (other than on the internet) and asked for a number for the local KYDFW office. Well, I called this number and it was a "discount tobacco store" in Jamestown...The guy who answered basically gave me the name of the local conservation officer so I could look up his home number, but I don't want to call the guy at home and bother him. The guy at the "store" was pretty nice and actually said his Dad was the retired CO and guessed that's why Frankfort gave me that telephone number.

Anyone know if there's a "map" of the Lake Cumberland WMA or even the local telephone number for the KYDFW? Sometimes getting this information is about as challenging as the hunt itself! hahah

[​IMG]

2. littleindian

littleindian BBBC Members

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    IT'S PRIMARILY AROUND THE LAKE. CORP OF ENGINEER PROPERTY.

"It's not what you take, but what you leave behind"

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks, Littleindian, I know it's basically the "shoreline", except for the portions of the state park. But there's areas shown on the "internet map" that butts up to private property lines. That's what I'm trying to confirm, making sure I'm not trespassing by wondering onto the wrong property. Didn't want to take any chances of getting "lynched"! hahaha

[​IMG]

4. littleindian

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    The Corp's property line is well marked. You should be albe to tell where it is. In most places it goes to the top of the ridges.

5. littleindian

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    Access is limited to primarily from the lake. The hills are steep and rough to climb but it can be done.

6. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

There is some good hunting around the lake, what side of the lake are you on?

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Close to Jamestown...I have a feeling I need to do some exercises and training before trying to tackle the hills. Can you rent a helicopter to get your deer out? hahaha

[​IMG]

8. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Try the Caney for area, or the BO creek area. Both are good areas. What happens is the lake water goes down and allows you access to those banks without a boat or crossing private land.

9. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    You might want to check out the oil center area lot of crops, good road access. The boundry lines are marked well.There is several ways to get to it out of somerset or on the other side of the lake around King Bee.