New here

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by daz, Sep 24, 2016.

1. daz

daz Fawn

Sep 24, 2016
    Hi all. I'm moving back to Hopkins co. A little after the 1st of the year. Been out of hunting for a long time now. I'm wanting to start back I'm disabled now but I think I can still do a little hunting. Maybe some small game. Stuff. I would love to go deer hunting again never did get one back in the late 80s when I used to hunt. I'll just see how it go's. Have a really good friend there that loves to hunt maybe he can help me. Is the any special rules for disabled hunters in ky? The web site was hard to understand. I look forward to talking to everyone and getting advice. Thanks. David

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Welcome back to KY. If you get back to white tail hunting you will quickty discover it has improved a 1000% since the 80's.
    I also think you will have to have your Dr complete a form if there is an exemption that would apply to a disability.
    I wish you success in the field and look forward to reading your future post's.

3. daz

daz Fawn

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I do have a permanent disability already on file. I was hoping with that I might get a little easier to get to the woods or something mabye. I get around pretty good on a cane most days with a little help I would love to try to hunt again. I have 3 boy's 15, 12, 10, that I'm ashamed to say have never been in the woods. Maybe I can start some new hunters. Thanks for the welcome. David

4. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    Welcome back. Good luck this year.

5. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Ride a 4 wheeler ride to your hunting spot and get off. I've seen em walk right up and smell it . A trophy buck, probably not but, a deer yes!

6. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Things have changed tremendously since then. I remember being insanely excited just seeing a couple tracks or droppings now it's not uncommon to see 20+ deer in a day where I hunt. Also, I think your sportsmans license is only like $5 if you're disabled

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Disabled license is just 5 dollars. The MD can fill out a paper for you to take advantage of a crossbow should u not be able to draw a compound. Hopkins County is a great area to hunt. I hunted most of my youth and young adulthood down there. Populations declined a bit form the late 90's to when I quit in the late 2000's but still a zone 2. Blind hunting is easy, u can ride up pretty close to ur spot and hunt from the ground. Can find used equipment pretty easily at pawn shops and on craigslist to get ya started and build/add as ya go. Easily done with a crossbow or firearm. Lot of ag land there so easy access as well. Find a spot and set some roots. Most of all, introduce those kids to the outdoors. It is life changing for the many, and life saving for some!!!!!!!

8. daz

daz Fawn

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get moved, looks like February or March though. I wish I could be there now. David