New Record Alligator Gar?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by JasonGoneFishing, Feb 18, 2010.

1. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    New Record Alligator Gar?

I have no idea how this incredible fish flew under the radar, but here it is in all its glory! This massive alligator gar was caught with bow in May 2009 and is potentially the new world record caught with a bow and arrow.

[​IMG]

This alligator gar was 8 foot, 3 inches long and weighed 230lbs! Caught by Johnny Morris of Bass Pro Shops

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    So, who's boycotting Bass Pro for killing this old fish, and not practicing catch and release?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    not picking or anything but does anyone know for sure if it was killed? Those fish are awful tough and can survive being shot and live out of water for a long time. I saw one show where they were catching them and then taking them to put in the aquarium in one of the stores.

4. BeastoftheFog

BeastoftheFog 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2009
    Huge! Looks like a gator. No swimming for me down there!

5. hammertime12

hammertime12 Spike

Sep 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn
    JM son did shoot one of them, but they caught several with rod and reel. I believe they had a little story in last year's master catalog on them.

6. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I'm sure that one will be in a BassPro somewhere!

7. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    If that fish was not dead (which I'm sure it probably was), those guys would be insane for trying to hold it like that. If you've ever tried to hold the 3 and 4 footers you know what I mean.

8. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
  9. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY

LOL, I get it, "TRASH" fish so hence the crying Indian....I'm boycotting them cause they didnt throw it back after they shot it with an arrow.

10. bowfisherman

bowfisherman Spike

Dec 15, 2007
    Very seldom do you get a fish of their size in with a single arrow and they would not be holding it like that if it were alive. i don't know of anybody who has shot one and it lived well enough to be turned loose. I'm sure i'm gonna get bombed on here by a few because i bowfish. I do it a lot and have a good time at it. They watch the alligator gar population a lot closer than they used to in order to keep them in close check. You can't shoot them unless they're a certain size and you can only shoot so many. I don't think its a bad deal. there are guides that will take you out on a trip for them with a rod and reel. I do know of one Master B, if you're interested shoot me a message and i'll get all the info for you. I'm sure they'd be a handfull on a rod and reel. Not tryin to ruffle and feathers, just givin a little information from the bowfishermans side of things.

11. JasonGoneFishing

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    I know a few guys that do it, but its $$$$$$. 1 person is $2450, it is cut in half when you take 2 but I have no takers and time has just about ran out to book them.

12. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Where waters does this take place at?

13. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY