Not bad for about a $25 investment....

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Stumbled onto an old canner a few summers ago at an estate sale. They'd dropped the prices at the end of the day & it came home with me for a whopping $4. Not having time to play with it, I sat in the basement & pretty much forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago. After a little research, I replaced the vent pipe, added 3 piece weights to it, replaced the overpressure plug with an extra I had on hand, and cleaned & greased the gasket that was in it (it appeared to be relatively new - just dirty).

Gave it a trial run this morning & it pressured up like a champ!

Total cost of parts - approx $20 plus $4 for the canner. Not a bad little investment for something that would have otherwise likely ended up in the trash! I'll be passing it along to family in a few weeks.

p.s. Stumbled onto this baby for $10 at a yard sale last week & just couldn't resist bringing it home too. An All American 921 that retails for upwards of $250.....

[​IMG]
    p.s.s. Been having good luck on the cast iron front too. Found a Lodge dutch oven for a whopping $3:
    [​IMG]
    And a BSR skillet this morning for $5 along with what I suspect may be a Griswold muffin pan for $5 as well. (I'll know if it's what I think it is after I get it stripped & cleaned.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nock, EC, drakeshooter and 2 others like this.
  2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    You did good!

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I wouldn't trade those treasures for all the copper chef cookware they have on QVC!

drakeshooter and Lady Hunter like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Holy cow! That’s some good deals. I’d love to find a cheap Dutch oven in good shape.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    The outside is going to take some elbow grease to clean up but the inside just needs a quick scrub... Can't wait to whip it into shape! I'd been looking for one for about a year.

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yep they ain’t cheap. Good find!

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    LH
    I have read of cleaning the rust off of Dutch ovens using coke cola.
    Go to camp chefs website. They have a video

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    A guy at work gave me a BSR skillet. It's now my go to skillet. Much smoother than my lodge.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    That's what convinced me to bring it home. It's so much smoother and lighter than Lodge.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. rabbit dawg likes this.
  12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Yep, Easy Off is the most recommended method short of building an electrolysis tank. These will be getting soaked with Easy Off and tossed into trash bags for a few days to soak in it as soon as I recover from an upper respiratory bug that has kicked my ***....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    drakeshooter likes this.
  13. rabbit dawg

rabbit dawg 6 pointer

Mar 9, 2010
    drakeshooter likes this.