OH Update #3

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Jay Blankenship, May 17, 2018.

1. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    Well fellow turkey hunters.......the OH season saga continues. This past weekend I took a good friend of many turkey hunting seasons together out again.....the gentleman killed his first bird with me this year with it sporting two big ropes. This past weekend we tried our luck again and after some late season tatics we were able to seal the deal on this long spurred bird......bird hung up at 60yrds through the first hour of the setup....after aknowleding the fact the bird was hung up.....I decided to let him walk off some and make a different setup.....after a shock gobble of convicning us he had moved 60-70 yrds away from us....I decided to make our move......we closed the distance......I switched both mouth calls and friction.....as I purred and cut with a different call the bird immediately answered....I setup my shooter and told him I was going to walk away from about 20yrds back the direction we just came from with hopes of the tom thinkin his hen was leaving him.......as I walked back and settled in 20yrds behind my shooter I called again this time with a different mouth call.....the bird never answered......so I again go back to the switched friction surface call......after a short series of feeding purrs, clucks, and 2-3 note yelp,,,,,,,still no gobble........just as I was about to make the next series of calls........POW!!!!! THE SETUP WORKED!!!! and my friend tagged out on a 10 1/2'' beard 1-1/2'' spur !!!! That makes bird #10 that I have seen go down this spring!!!!!! kevin 1.jpg

2. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
  3. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    kevins 1st bird 2018.jpg kevins first bird of 2018 with me sporting two beards earning him his first ever double bearded bird kevins 1st double bearded bird.jpg

4. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    after today we have three days left of season........my 7yr old has been pumped beyond words can describe to try for his second bird of the season........he said "dad, I wana tag out like you and my older brother".......well......seems I am going to have buy him another youth tag and we gonna give it our best shot for the last two days of season......hopefully the turkey gods will look upon us on the closing days and the 7yr old may get a chance at a last day bird to tag him out........say a little prayer to the turkey gods for the young kid on his hopes of taggin out on the last two days........stay tuned......may have a story to tell if I can get bird #11 for the spring on the ground

mudhole crossing likes this.
  5. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Nice bird great spurs and a thick beard.Dandy

6. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    thanks trapper........it sure has been a fun spring and one to always remeber

7. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Im beginning to think jay has alot to do with the decline in the turkey population lol! Youre on fire this year man..congrats. alot of memories being made. And ill whisper a lil somethin to the turkey gods for ya boy. Good luck!

8. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship Spike

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    dirts I sure appreciate that!!! I will tell the young boy here shortly after school that he has some bluegrass turkey friends that are wishing him the best of luck on his last two day hunt of the season.......be awfully special to end a year out on all three of us taggin out in OH with one of us taggin out in KY as well.......sure has been fun this spring and the great state of KY sure was one of the most action packed thrilling hunts of a lifetime to kick it off..........my o my was that driving snowstorm on April 7th one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been part of .....cold my lands was it cold ,,,,,the snow just flying,,,,,,,,,the turkeys just hammering and my oldest boy harvesting his first out of state bird in it........

9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  10. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    Congrats, Good Hunting!

11. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Buckeye gobbler had he’ll of an Beard on him!