Opinions on rubber boots

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by joelwalters, Apr 30, 2019.

1. joelwalters

joelwalters Spike

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    I am looking for recommendations on a new pair of rubber boots. I am tired of buying a new pair every other year and want to go upscale. My last pair of Mucks leaked in a couple of months and the soles came off.

In particular I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Gumleaf or Le Chameau boots. I was looking at the Gumleaf Viking model and the Vierzonord XL in the Le Chameau. Thanks for your help.

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I work all my rubber boots over pretty well between Turkey, deer, and rabbit hunting so go through them often too. I don’t have any experience with those brands but Lacrosse seem to hold up the best for me. I like the Alpha Burly for cold weather and the grange for warm.

3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Same as luvtohunt for me.....no experience with brands you listed, but I prefer LaCrosse. I can say they don't hold up like they used to. Seem to crack/split at the ankles after a couple of seasons. Like everything else, something in their materials or workmanship changed for the worse.

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I used to be a huge fan and supporter of mucks..but their quality has went to crap..like alot of things. I switched back to leather boots. Danner pronghorns..600 grm w/goretex.
    For working around the farm i bought a cheaper pair of rubber boots from dunhams sports. Removable Wool liner..made in the usa. Cant remember the brand right off..but so far theyve been good. But they are nit designed for a hunting scenario..too clunky

5. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    My muck boots about gave it up this winter with all the mud, I wore them every single day.
    3 years old they are cracking at bend points now but I am satisfied with them.

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've had both Lacrosse and Mucks. My mucks have out lasted my lacrosse. Alpha burly sports are much cooler, but mucks are more comfortable. I'm on my 5th year on these mucks. Got a crack at the toe bend point last weekend. Time for new boots. I'll probably buy whichever I find the best deal on after turkey season. You should have called muck about your boots. They have a warranty.

7. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
  8. minixjt

minixjt Spike

Jul 10, 2018
    Paintsville, KY
    I think Muck boots are the most comfy, but Lacrosse alpha Burley are the warmest. I have a high arch, so it makes taking either of them off an "effort" lol

9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Keep us posted on those gumleaf boots. the hunting dog podcast has a pretty good discount code if you tell them you heard about them on the podcast plus free shipping.

10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Noble outfitters are awesome. I bought the winter ones and they keep my feet warm in winter but they dont overheat in summer surprisingly. PLUS they feel like you are walking on a cloud they are so comfortable. Ive never had any issues with them and had them about 5 years.
    Cant beat the price for that quality.

11. oaktreeplanter

oaktreeplanter Fawn

Jul 29, 2018
    Marshall County
    LaCrosse is hard to beat.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Lacrosse 18” Burly boots for me. After about 3-4 years they will start cracking and my heels get worn down from walking on a concrete kennel floor. But all in all they work for me considering the price.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    My muck soles fell off the boot after limited use, the pair i had before them lasted forever. Their quality is now trash and ought to be sold at walmart for 29.99.

beauhunter41031 and dirtstalker like this.
  14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Armor All will help prevent most of the early cracking.

Lacrosse for me. Buck Commander is decent at about half the price. I hated the one pair of mucks that I had.

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  15. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    On a whim a few years ago I bought a pair of light insulated (200?) rubber 16 inch boots at Academy Sport for the insane price of $22. I have to wear arch supports in all y boots and may supports fit fine in the Acadamy Boot. I have grouse hunted great Lakes and hunted locally in them for two years. Worn them daily two turkey seasons. I usually could do not that out of any goeetex boot without leaks These things are still waterproof. I went back this year and bought another pair and put in the closet and they are still in the closet..they were $24 I think. People spend fortunes on boots. I have in the past but have come to recognize the quality of ALL boots anymore is not what it once was and I now view boots as entirely a disposable item. If cheap works, go with it.

FOWLER2671 likes this.