Out west outfitters

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by wannabetrapper, Aug 28, 2017.

1. wannabetrapper

wannabetrapper 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2010
    I plan on going on my first Elk hunt next year hopefully if all goes right. I went to wyoming two years ago and was successful with an antelope hunt but I was very lucky as I did it my self. This time I want to pay a guide so that my first trip will be hopefully one to remember and I can be successful. Can any one tell me guides that they had good experiences with and maybe guides that you had bad experiences with. I know hunting is not 100 percent I am just looking for honest people to help me along as I have heard to many Horror story of people getting there money taken. I am looking at colorado just because chances of getting drawed but I am open to any other state. I just want a respectable guide that some one has had good experiences with.
  2. 1sttop

1sttop 6 pointer

Jun 29, 2007
    Flaherty, KY
    You cant go wrong with Cody Carr outfitters in Montana

WVHUNTER1 Fawn

Nov 9, 2016
    All elk licenses in Wyoming are by drawing. How many preference points do you have? It will take one preference point to guarantee drawing a General tag which is the easiest tag to draw. A better unit like Area 7 will take eight preference points to draw.
    What kind of hunt are you looking for? Do you want to stay in a bunkhouse and hunt a private ranch out of a truck or do you want a horseback hunt where it takes eight hours on a horse just to get to camp?
    Some of the horseback hunts into the Thorofare River, South of Yellowstone, are General area hunts and they are a true wilderness adventure.
    So you might want to narrow down the areas you can draw and look at the type hunt you want.
    I could give you a couple of good Outfitters in Area 7 but unless you have eight preference points it isn't going to help you any.
    DARKCLOUD likes this.

WVHUNTER1 Fawn

Nov 9, 2016
    I talked a little about Wyoming but I see in your post you are looking at Colorado. Colorado is one of the few states that has over the counter licenses but personally I would stay away from those, those areas are usually over hunted.
    To have a good hunt you need to be in a good area. You get a tag in a good area by either building preference points for years, being very lucky in the random draws or paying a lot of money for a landowner tag.
    You can still get a Wyoming preference point for this year until October 31st.
    I have hunted elk in Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico and I do think a Wyoming General area can be a good hunt for someone that doesn't have a lot of preference points and doesn't want to pay $5,000 or more for a landowner tag.
  5. gds

gds 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    I've hunted twice ( archery and rifle ) with Joe Cabral , in northern Idaho , he owns Russell Pond and B Bar C Outfitters . He offers a true wilderness hunting experience. One day to pack in from the trail head , on mules to the most beautiful wilderness you will ever see. One day to pack out , five days to hunt . Joe and his crew spend most of the year in this area guiding bear, wolf, elk , mountain lion , deer and bobcat hunts . They know the area well and will work their asses off to see that you are successful in your hunt . Their web site is russellpond@russellpond.com He has limited number of elk tags for his hunters . So you don't have to draw one .
  6. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    While I've never hunted with them, I have hunted near them- Sable Mountain Outfitters in Colorado. I have hunted the same area three times and we always take our own horses. They hunt an area with a good elk population but not great for trophy bulls. There is much public pressure but you can escape that with your own horses or by hiring an outfitter. Theirs is a genuine back country experience. They know the area well and like a lot of guides nowadays, they rely heavily on aerial scouting- they know which mountains the elk are on. They've told me as have their references, the success rate long term averages 50% which is much better than the 10-12% statewide considering residents, guided and DIY nonresidents state wide.