Panthers??

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bonasa umbellus, Dec 6, 2002.

1. <font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Trebuchet MS">Has anyone seen or heard panthers in eastern Ky??? I have seen huge cat tracks and large scat where I am hunting around Morehead. The tracks are definitely not Bobcats. Thanks... </font id="Trebuchet MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red">

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

<font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="blue"></font id="blue"> Just be sure an carry a large bag of catnip when you hunt....[:D]

3. ky_great_white_bowhunter

ky_great_white_bowhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2002
    hey bonasa, I am a student at Morehead University and I am very curious about where you seen these tracks. Several of my friends and I have hunted down here for a couple of years and never really heard of anything like this. I would like to go to this area and look around sometime. Also there have been reports or exotic animals around this area, some times people get permits to have game like that and the decide they don't want the animal any more and they let them loose in the woods. That may be the case.

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I have a fellow forum member on another site from Arkansas. This fall somebody turned loose several African Lions loose in his area. They think they have managed to kill all of them last I heard. One was killed not 200 yards from his favorite deer stand. Now that would make you think twice about walking to your stand in the dark. I understand there is a wildlife rehab place not far away an someone had tried to drop off these lions an the rehab had no room for them. Must have just drove down the road a bit and opened the cage an let them loose is the best the locals can figure out.

5. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    hunted morehead a lot never seen anything

6. l_c_s

l_c_s 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2002
    My brother-in-law swears hs saw a black panther while hunting in Pike County. He said it walked up the ridge to within about 50 feet of him then jumped up coon and ran off.

7. bowhunter49

bowhunter49 Cyber-Hunter

Feb 27, 2002
    ky, USA.
    L C S , where in Pike Co. did your brother in law see this panther? The reason I ask is because two of my cousins and an uncle saw a Big black cat with Long tail also. They were not together and the sightings were weeks apart. They were afraid to tell anyone because they didn't want anyone to make fun of them. When I started to tell one of them about what the other said, he told me hold on and he told me about seeing his and where it was at. It was almost in the same place. They all said it looked like a black panther..Interesting isn't it..

8. l_c_s

l_c_s 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2002
    He saw it in the Blackberry area. Just over from Phelps.

If I remember correctly there was a panther killed by a car in McViegh (Pike Co.) in the early 80's. I was just a kid but I remember seeing it strung up at a local gas station.

9. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Staffordsville, Ky.
    KDFWLR , says that we have mountain cats that can turn rather dark in the fall & winter. Of course these were all turned loose by private owners. I have seen them in Johnson Co. and others have too.

10. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    I have a friend who had a picture of a mountain lion on a game camera in Hardin co. It was a rather long and interesting thread here awhile back. No one has seen it at all during the deer season to include bow season. Our CO saw the picture though and agreed it was the real thing. He said it was probably an illegal pet that had been turned loose.

11. l_c_s

l_c_s 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2002
    I did some investigation on this. There was a major coal company that imported some exotic animals (Mountain Lion, Black Fox Squirel, Gazelle) to the western Virginia/Eastern Kentucky area in the 1980's in an effort to form an employee only hunting club. The area was fenced and considered safe to house the animals. As time passed the coal copmany moved on and the hunting area was neglected. The area has sine been strip mined. so, if anything was still in there it has had to find a new habitat.

12. bmsexton

bmsexton Fawn

Nov 6, 2002
    Woodbridge, VA, USA.
    I am a native of Fleming County, which is northwest of Morehead. There has been talk of panthers in the Parkersburg area near Poplar Plains for decades. This is in the eastern half of the county. I was visiting my sister who lives in that area a couple of years ago, when I was awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of some large animal killing a smaller animal right outside the window. There was a lot of squawling, running, thrashing and squealing/screaming, and then slowly silence. Since it was pitch black outside I couldn't see anything, but the predator was breathing so loudly that I could hear it. I checked the area the next morning for blood, fur, tracks, anything, but there was nothing. My sister and my mother both told me that they had heard similar breathing sounds and something very large pacing or running around the house on previous occasions always at night. My mother said it sounded just like something she had heard in the same area about forty years ago when she had lived there before. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big cat or cats in those areas. It is rural with a lot of woods and forested areas.

13. .300Savage

.300Savage 6 pointer

bmsexton,
    It was really Bigfoot.

Rocco