Paw Paws and a bonus pair of puffballs

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    I guess you must get them quick. I cut these open and the were a yucky brown! Nasty!!

2. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

They grow in shady areas, usually along a ditch. I have them growing on the farm. I like them.

3. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    I've always had luck finding pawpaws, but still have yet to find any edible puffballs. We saw some mushrooms that actually glowed in the dark this past weekend at Red River Gorge; pretty cool, but I wasn't about to eat them.

4. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    [QUOTE="jfiscus, post: 2037712562, member: 36289" We saw some mushrooms that actually glowed in the dark this past weekend at Red River Gorge; pretty cool, but I wasn't about to eat them.[/QUOTE]
    couple camps down at Kickin it on the creek last weekend where eatin them.:D

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It was prolly a clump of jackolantern mushrooms 'Omphalotus olearius'. They glow in the dark, and are quite poisonous.

jfiscus likes this.
  6. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Fawn

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    They tend to be thickest near the bottom of ravines around here...in fact they are often the only shorter tree to be found near the bottom. Maybe those big leaves gather more light. A the same time they can be found up in the high woods as well. They grow in patches because new trees will sprout from the roots of others. They are a common tree in the midwest, easily recognized by the distinctive leaves that have a pungent odor when crushed.

7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Seen one tree that had over 50 on it

8. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Thats enough to make some pawpaw puddin

9. Drahts

Drahts 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Been finding lots of Paw Paws, and some puffballs. Don't eat the jack o lanterns!

10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    More poisonings occur from Jack O Lanterns than any other fungi. Problem is they look so amazing.

11. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    There are about 25 pawpaw trees around my yard and garden that I've planted over the years. The last of the fruit fell a few days ago. Started getting ripe the last week of August. Years ago we went to cow pastures to collect them because the fruit was plentiful and larger.
    Pawpaw cake is delicious, and i hear the ice cream is great too, but haven't tried it.
    Pawpaws are normally an understory tree but they produce more and better fruit in the edge of forest cover or in the open where they get full sun.