Pennsylvania Poacher

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Finn209, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    Notebook helps convict poacher

By Gene Mueller
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

From the Pennsylvania Game Commission in Harrisburg comes word of a recently concluded investigation by wildlife conservation officers that resulted in the arrest of a Burnt Cabins (Fulton County) resident, who was charged and eventually convicted on 90 counts of violating the state Game and Wildlife Code.
    The man, obviously an egotist of the first order, documented many of his misdeeds in a spiral notebook. His often detailed entries helped convict him.
    Michael Allen Lake, 38, was found guilty of 86 counts of unlawfully taking or possessing wildlife, one count of unlawful acts concerning licenses and one count of failure to tag and report big game kills. District Justice Brenda Knepper in Fort Littleton ordered Lake to pay fines of $27,750 and $420 in laboratory fees. Now his hunting and fur taking privileges could be revoked for 88 years.
    In addition, Lake was found guilty of one count of unlawful use of lights while hunting and one count of having a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Huntingdon County. District Justice Mary Jamison in Orbisonia ordered Lake to pay fines of $700 and $1,715 in laboratory fees. On those two counts, Lake's hunting and trapping privileges could be revoked for an additional three years.
    Lake came under suspicion when concerned citizens informed the game commission he had illegally killed a large, 10-point trophy-class antlered deer at night Nov. 24, 2002, more than a week before the start of the statewide firearms deer season. At both hearings, the courtrooms were packed, with local residents supporting the commonwealth's case.
    When a search warrant was served at Lake's home, additional items were found indicating a long history of illegal wildlife killing. Seized as evidence during the search were 42 sets of deer antlers, several firearms and the spiral notebook that documented out-of-season kills of both deer and turkeys. The notebook prompted a subsequent search of Lake's home, during which computer records and a box containing 53 turkey beards were seized. The beards corresponded in length to measurements found in the notebook.
    The notebook of Lake's illegal wildlife killing began Sept. 13, 1979, when Lake was 16 years old. It listed in detail the illegal killing of 131 antlerless deer, 122 antlered deer and 82 turkeys. Dates for many of these killings indicated they were taken out of season. He even wrote what kind of firearm he used, the caliber of the gun and the manufacturer.
    Said a game commission official: "In a span of 22 years, Lake documented his illegal killing of more animals than he could have legally take in several lifetimes."

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030716-123049-3468r.htm

[​IMG]

2. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
  3. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by schuyler olt</i>
    <br />Darwin Award!!!!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL!............yep, a rocket scientist he wasn't

[​IMG]

4. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    I'm not sure of the correct terminology here, (I'm sure Schuyler could help) but do we have any agreements with surrounding and nearby states that would keep a creature like this from up and moving from PA and destroying our hunting grounds? I think I read something some time ago about some sort of agreement between many western states. Eighty-eight years of hunting privileges gone, only in PA would not be much of a deterrent for someone like that, if you ask me (if they could just up and move to the next state and hunt the next season).

Anyone have any insight into this?

5. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    He sounds more like a serial killer.

BH

6. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    I agree.... This dude is nuts. Skeeter, you bring up a very good point.

- There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not...

7. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    From gsp on Cyberhunters forum.

"You are refering to the Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact, a compact where states share and enforce each others punishments."

I think KY tried to pass this and it was shot down by a big wheel in Frankfort for some reason or another. Go to the CH forum and click on "reciprocal punishment" for more info. If you are not a member of CH, you should be. Lots of great info and ideas floating around in there.

8. MrBowhunter

MrBowhunter 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2001
    Perryopolis, PA, USA.
    Sorry Greenskeeter, they already let me into the state of KY from PA 2 1/2 years ago. HAHAHA!!!

Kenny

9. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MrBowhunter</i>
    <br />Sorry Greenskeeter, they already let me into the state of KY from PA 2 1/2 years ago. HAHAHA!!!

Kenny

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Apparently we are slow learners. Looks like we did not learn our lesson after Kenny "the Keystone Kritter Getter" slipped in on us.[8D] Somebody close the gates!

10. MrBowhunter

MrBowhunter 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2001
    Perryopolis, PA, USA.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Well, the only thing I've been able to get in the 2 1/2 years I've been here is a small doe. The wife has gotten a couple of doe and a nict tirkey and the boy has gotten 3 turkeys. I'm happy just working to provide them at an opportunity to get a shot at something. If I get lucky enough to take a shot then I will.[:D][:D]